Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Different base trim for adjoining rooms

ME

07-13-14, 07:07 PM   #1  
Different base trim for adjoining rooms

I changed the LR and DR concept... i widened the doorways and did sr/ metal+paper corner trim in the doorways instead of the old wood trim. i started installing maple 3" base trim in the DR and realized i bought 4" primed trim for the LR.
How do you manage base trim between rooms with different trim heights?.. particularly at the threshold area between rooms?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-14-14, 03:00 AM   #2  
You could either case out the opening so the 2 different heights don't meet or install something along the order of a plinth block where the 2 meet ..... or you could rip 1" off the bottom of the taller base.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

07-14-14, 06:20 AM   #3  
Ripping 1" off the bottom is a good solution.

Another option might be that you could return the 4" base to the wall at some point. What that means is you miter the end of the baseboard as if you were turning a corner, and then glue another small mitered piece onto the end like a cap. The smaller 3" base would then be able to butt right into that cap.

It would probably look best if you ended the 4" base at the corner of the LR doorway opening, then had the 3" base come into the doorway and return into the end of the 4" base in the LR. (or the other way around)

Search this Thread