Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

old dark paneling

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-15-01, 09:15 AM   #1  
My home has old dark 70's style paneling everywehre....The house is very small and the livingroom does not get much outside light. Can you suggest a how to for removal of paneling sight or instructions? I have heard its easier to cover paneling to remove, is this true what are my options? And if so can you suggest a step by step sight for this ....Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-16-01, 11:49 AM   #2  
My house had paneling too. I just primed it with kilz, and painted it with regular interior paint. The groves in the paneling gave it an interesting texture.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-16-01, 01:47 PM   #3  
Originally posted by JoBoss1
My house had paneling too. I just primed it with kilz, and painted it with regular interior paint. The groves in the paneling gave it an interesting texture.
Was it the fake wood paneling that you did this to?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

08-13-05, 07:19 AM   #4  
No ads allowed!

*****************advertising not allowed!

Last edited by Annette; 08-15-05 at 07:33 AM.

08-15-05, 01:19 PM   #5  
Edit: Just noticed this thread is really, really old, whoops!

Removing wall paneling is easy. Dealing with what is behind it, is sometimes not. My house is (well, was) completely panelled, with drywall behind it. A lot of the drywall I ended up replacing as it was so badly damaged from removing various types of glue (and possibly a tar!) that was used to secure the panelling to the wall.

I'm in favour of removing the panelling as opposed to drywalling over top of it. I found several code violations behind my walls, including improper wiring, overloaded boxes, missing fire stops in some sections of exterior walls, poor insulation, mold, etc. It's a slow job, but I find that it's actually less work for me to hang and tape new drywall as opposed to skim cloating an entire wall from all the glue damage.

I suggest removing a small section in a corner somewhere so you can get a better idea of what you're dealing with behind your wall panelling.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-15-05, 07:02 PM   #6  
Either the cheap paneling or the good wood paneling each can be painted. Sanding and cleaning are necessary along with a good bonding primer.

Search this Thread