Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Quarter Round Basement Options?

IL

08-13-14, 08:56 AM   #1  
Quarter Round Basement Options?

basement room. There was wood trim, but no quarter round moulding at bottom. The room was carpeted and the carpet filled the gap. I removed carpet, down to concrete. Now there is a gap.

What type of quarter round or something similar should I install here? I was thinking something rubber or pvc as it will be in direct contact with a cold basement floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

08-13-14, 09:02 AM   #2  
Yes, I think PVC molding would be a good idea. Also, you don't "have to" go with 1/4 round as it may be difficult to attach. Shoe molding or some other profile may be tall enough to allow you to nail it to the base molding above.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-13-14, 10:44 AM   #3  
Baseboard is often raised 1/2" to allow the carpet to be tucked under it. How tall is the gap under your base? both 1/4 round and shoe mold are only 3/4" tall and may not work well.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

08-13-14, 03:59 PM   #4  
Assuming your basement isn't wet, either wood or pvc quarter round or base shoe would be good to use. You will just need to use longer brad nails that will reach the sill plate if there is a large gap under the baseboard.

MO

08-21-14, 08:08 PM   #5  
All kinds of options here. just find a trim that will have enough height to attach with nails. when you install it just shim it up with 1\8" stock to keep it off the floor. then remove the shims. You may need to shim out the gap between the floor and the drywall so the new trim dosent roll.

Search this Thread