Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Rubber moulding removal from wood trim

Old 09-19-14, 09:33 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Just purchased an old home that needs some updating. I removed the old black rubber trim that was on the bottom wood trim in the kitchen. I guess that was put there to prevent damage to the trim. It came off real easily, basically peeled off with little effort. The issue is what was left behind. I bought some contractors grade adhesive/putty/etc removal spray but it really didn't loosen the gunk up. Has anyone did this type of project before? I need to clean that trim so we can sand and paint.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-14, 09:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't recall seeing wood trim with a rubber strip .... but then my memory isn't what it used to be
pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
It might take a stronger solvent or maybe let it dry and sand off the adhesive.

Old 09-19-14, 12:21 PM
R
Here's a picture of what was under the moulding

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-14, 12:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd start with mineral spirits and see how that does, expect to use a fair amount of elbow grease. You could step up to lacquer thinner or MEK but you'd need to be careful not to hurt the floor covering and it will dissolve some of the varnish/poly.

Old 09-24-14, 06:06 AM
R
Heres an update. Decided to use a heat gun to melt most of that crap off. This worked really well for most of the areas but some still have a dark almost stain on the baseboards. It came completely off in some spots that i let the gun sit for a while. Obviously i didnt have the patience nor wanted to burn out the heat gun so some spots still have these dark marks.

Ive considered going back over everything with paint stripper to get the final bits and pieces off, or even just sanding it down. I'm going to have to sand the crap out of this anyways because i did chip some wood while scraping off the glue. Its a good thing we are painting all of the baseboards and trim because theres no way we could save the wood for poly.

Old 10-12-14, 12:41 PM
S
I have the same problem except my rubber stuff was glued to drywall and to the back bottom of laminate cupboards where they meet the floor. Any suggestions for getting the glue off of the walls and cabinet? The good floor is already installed (ya wrong order here) so I have to be really careful. Thanks,
Debby

Old 10-13-14, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Debby, pics showing what you are dealing with might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Rather than clean the drywall I'd scrape off the adhesive. You can skim joint compound over the areas that aren't covered by the new base. Are the walls textured?

On the cabinet base I'd try mineral spirits and a lot of elbow grease and see how that does.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: