Crown Molding paint sheen

Old 09-20-14, 12:49 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crown Molding paint sheen

I just installed some crown molding and I am undecided on what sheen to use. I have read some post that go either way but my case is slightly different. I have a popcorn ceiling. Usually I paint the ceiling semi-gloss but now with the crown I don't want it to blend into the ceiling. I want to draw some attention to it. I was thinking of doing flat for ceiling and semi-gloss for all trim.
Any thoughts?

Old 09-20-14, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ceilings are normally painted with flat paint [occasionally satin] Paint with a sheen on a ceiling is apt to highlight any defects in the ceiling.

Crown molding is normally painted with the same enamel that is used on the rest of the woodwork although it's not like there are any rules or visits from the decorating/paint police

Old 09-20-14, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
That sounds right to me, though you may want to use a satin instead of semi.

Old 09-20-14, 01:20 PM
G
I understand about that sheen will show the defects but since I have a popcorn ceiling you really cant see them. That's why I always used semi before.

Old 09-20-14, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The only times I remember using latex enamel on any popcorn ceiling it's been in a bath rm [where their is no sane reason to have popcorn] Semi-gloss over popcorn won't appear as shiny as it will over smooth woodwork. I'd use flat paint or satin/eggshell on your popcorn ceilings.

Has the popcorn been previously painted?

Old 09-20-14, 01:45 PM
G
yes it has been painted. I plan to prime the entire room.

Old 09-20-14, 01:48 PM
G
and yes I have popcorn in 2 of my bathrooms. The house was built in the late 80's. When I remodel the bathrooms I plan to scrape it since it's a small room. My LR is 19X12.

Old 09-20-14, 01:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It can be difficult to remove painted popcorn. It works best if you scrape it first, then mist it with water to soften/loosen up the texture. There are all kinds of horror stories of painting old popcorn where the moisture in the latex paint makes it fall off of the ceiling but since your popcorn is already painted - there shouldn't be any issues. Most repaints don't require a primer so you may be able to skip that step.

Old 09-20-14, 02:04 PM
G
When I was putting up the crown I had to scape along the edge of the ceiling so the crown is flush. It actually came out pretty easy. I think with a good scraper, a light sanding and a llight layer of compound it can be done. But in a large rooms it sounds easier than it is. I have a small hallway that I am thinking of scarping but my wife wont let me because of the dust from sanding.

Old 09-21-14, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The dust from sanding can go all thru the house Draping off the openings to adjoining rooms will help to contain the dust/debris. It is possible to avoid sanding altogether but it does require some skill/practice. You'd scrape but not sand the ceiling, float your skim coat as evenly as possible and then use a wet sponge instead of sandpaper to soften the dry j/c and smooth it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: