Staircase trim question

Old 03-04-15, 07:17 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 14
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Staircase trim question

I live in a split level house from the 70s and it was carpeted wall to wall. I removed the carpet from the stairs and in doing so damaged the piece of quarter round that goes along the staircase where it meets the wall.

Its a total eye sore the way it looks now and I just wanted to know what do you think I should do. Should I replace with a new piece of quarter round? Or go on the advice of a contractor who worked on my house one day...don't bother just patch the wall, sand and paint.

I attached pics for you to see..ThanksName:  Resized-TBEWC.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  17.2 KBName:  Resized-HV3MA.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  16.7 KBName:  Resized-MEK4M.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  11.6 KB
Old 03-04-15, 07:40 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,245
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
IMO that would probably look best if you could avoid any trim there. Sand that drywall so it's smooth, skim if needed, scrape and sand any paint/caulk residue off the top of the skirt, caulk the seam where the drywall meets the skirt and paint it.

But I guess you have that wall cap below it, don't you? If one piece of trim could be installed to cover that transition, that works too. You would probably need to do something fancy at the top end, though... so that the quarter round wouldn't just be square cut on the end. What will your base be doing on the landing?
Old 03-04-15, 07:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,860
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Look a whole lot better with base cap moulding instead of 1/4 rd.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: