Caulking baseboards

Old 10-17-15, 11:16 PM
Caulking baseboards

So, I am about to install baseboards that I cut and pre painted. Should I caulk the bottom of baseboards in the bathroom? Also, do I paint the wall first, then let it dry and then install baseboards and finish with caulking? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-15, 12:40 AM
Nothing wrong with caulking under them.
Always paint the walls first before trimming.
Whole lot easier to paint.
Caulking done right only needs to fill the tiny gap, should not be any on the wall or baseboard.

Old 10-18-15, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to caulk the bottom of the base to the vinyl until I had a customer complain that over time the unpainted caulk would collect dirt and look unsightly. Painted caulk will repel dirt and can be cleaned.

I prefer for the base to be installed prior to the final coat of paint on the walls. That eliminates any need to go back and touch up the wall after the baseboard is installed BUT it can be done either way.

Old 10-19-15, 01:15 AM
So when caulking the gap between baseboard and wall there shouldn't be any caulk touching the wall? I'm afraid I don't understand?

Old 10-19-15, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Caulking bridges the gap between the top of the base and the wall. While it is possible to paint the wall and then caulk the base without having to touch up the wall - normally caulk gets high enough on the wall to need painting with the wall color prior to applying the finish coat of enamel on the baseboard.

Old 10-30-15, 11:32 PM
I have all of my baseboard attached to the walls. My last step is going to be caulking the top. I am going to leave the bottom uncaulked because the floor is pretty level and the gap is unnoticeable. I still am unsure of what to do here. I have painted the wall before installation of baseboard. I also primed and painted the baseboard before install. There are some gaps between the top of baseboard and the wall in a couple areas.

Do I just tape off the wall really close to the top of the baseboard and tape off the top of the baseboard and caulk a fine bead along the top? Or am I supposed to run a decent bead of caulk along the top and wait for it to dry, then tape off the top of baseboard and paint the wall over the caulk to make a straight line? Thanks!

Old 10-31-15, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As a pro painter, I'd caulk, then touch up the wall paint getting some on the top of the base and then go back and apply the final coat of enamel on the base once the wall paint has dried. It's best to apply a coat of paint over both the caulking and putty.

I've never used tape in the manner you suggest. One of the dangers of using tape that way is it's propensity to stick too well and the possibility that it will remove fresh paint when you pull the tape off. Hopefully some of the other members will have more advice regarding the use of tape. Don't use regular masking tape! the blue or green tape has adhesive that is less likely to cause problems.

Old 10-31-15, 06:08 AM
Just to clarify. You are saying to caulk the joint then paint over the caulking until the wall paint covers the caulking and partially the top of baseboard. Then go back and paint over the wall paint that is on top of baseboard with the white baseboard paint?

Old 10-31-15, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, that will give the most professional looking finish. You don't necessarily have to get wall paint on the baseboard but it's quicker/easier not to have to worry about keeping in clean.