Asbestos?


  #1  
Old 10-19-15, 05:20 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asbestos?

I have a condo that was built in 1980. I live in Oregon. I have some wood paneling above my fireplace that is about 1/2 inch thick. I started to remove it by first removing the trip at the top along the ceiling and then I pulled of some of the panels. I got about half of it off right now. I also noticed that there was some popcorn ceiling left behind the trim. It looks like the ceiling was scraped but they didn't bother to do the closets or the area behind the trim above the fireplace and the sliding glass door. I have stopped what I was doing as I started to be concerned about asbestos in the popcorn. My research indicates that asbestos had been banned in 1979. What are the odds that my place could have it? There was only about half an inch of a strip behind the trim and even then it looked more like dust just sitting on top of the wood paneling. Do you have any advice on how I should proceed?
 
  #2  
Old 10-19-15, 05:32 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
The asbestos in popcorn ceilings can be safely removed by spraying it with water and scraping with a sheetrock knife. Keeping it wet keeps it from becoming friable.
 
  #3  
Old 10-20-15, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,809
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
Asbestos type popcorn was used more in commercial settings than residential. While it was banned in 79, everyone was allowed to use up their existing stock. As Larry said, it's really only dangerous in a dry breathable form. There is hardly any danger while it's wet. I wouldn't be overly concerned.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: