Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Problem cutting base board pieces and setting aside

Old 03-19-17, 05:21 PM
K
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I need to run about 200 feet of bb in my home and it needs to be done by the end of May for my son's wedding. I understand how to do it including coping inside quarters, but have hit a scheduling snag, which is I was to hang the painted BB after the painters do the rooms, but we have had to delay getting the house painted do to the discovery of a slab leak It makes no sense to have the walls painted when before they are torn up by the plumbers.

More projects are in progress or about to start, but the BB work can work around them.

My question is am I likely to run into some problems if I prepaint the boards cut them, and set them aside to have them ready to go as soon as the paint is good and dry? My plan would be to cope all the ends on the left of inside corners and leave long the other end if it is a butt cut for an inside corner or a miter cut for an outside. Of course I would mark where each piece goes on its back. Thanks.

Old 03-19-17, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It will never fail that the pieces stand a chance of getting mixed up, or you cut a cope or angle just a little too short. If you are painting, you may do well just cutting angles on the inside corners rather than coping (preferred BTW) them. BUT, no more time than it will take, I would wait until all the wall prep is done. You are looking at a long day at most.

Old 03-21-17, 12:23 AM
K
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I will do as you suggest. Wait to cut until ready to hang and yes, mitering inside corners a much easier. The only thing I will do to make up some time is paint the all the stock so all they need is touch up after being cur and installed.

Old 03-21-17, 03:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree priming and applying the first coat of enamel before installation is the way to go. It's best to apply the final coat after installation. That will look better than just touching up the putty and caulk.

Old 03-21-17, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I always prime and paint molding before installing it. So at least get the painting out of the way.

When removing baseboard that will be re-installed I always write a number or letter on the back of the molding and a corresponding mark on the wall so it's easy to know what goes back where. You could do the same thing with your rooms. Cut and mark each piece of base board and mark the wall near the floor. Since there is the chance that the painters will paint over your wall marks I would also do a sketch of the room and label it with each base board piece's location. In addition to keeping the sheet in a safe location I would also that a photo of it with your phone as a further backup.

If you do pre-cut your base boards be mindful that things can move slightly when being finally nailed in place. Even after all your work to pre-cut you may find that things don't fit perfectly when you do the final install. So, don't forget to have some extra base board on hand and bring your saw when you do the install.

Old 03-21-17, 05:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Using a magic marker will prevent the paint from covering up the markings. On new construction I often remove the doors and hinges so I can spray them. I number the door and corresponding jamb behind a hinge with a magic marker. The number always bleeds thru the paint. It pretty much takes a coat of pigmented shellac to seal/cover the magic marker.

Old 03-21-17, 09:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Neat trick. I've always marked with pencil which is easily covered. I'll try magic marker next time.

Old 03-22-17, 02:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've never heard of not installing baseboard because of painters. They paint around molding all the time, cutting in the base they do in their sleep. Are you also removing the door and window casings for the same reason? Installing base now, and caulking will save YOU some aggravation as you don't need to be as precise with the bead of caulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: