Wooden Frame repair

Old 04-09-01, 06:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have an old house with a screened in porch. My problem is the base frame has sections of rotted wood. Since the base 2 X 4 spans more than one vertical support, joist, I would just like to repair the area affected. The base piece is about 12 feet long and the effected area is about 3 feet.

Note: The outside lawn over the years is over the base 2X4. The dirt will be removed when I put the new piece back in.

How can I cut out the 3 foot affected area and replace it with new 2 X4. I want to find a way to reconnect the new piece so I have support.
Old 04-11-01, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
So...you have a partially rotten bottom plate in your screen porch. It spans more than one floor joist. Right?

You SHOULD cut a replacement that will "break" over a joist at each cut end. Make sure that you eliminate ALL rotten wood, or you will be back at this again.

Remember - an 8' 2x4 costs the same as a 6' one.
Old 04-11-01, 12:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for your reply. The porch is a single story and extends out from the first floor only. It appears that the dirt from the back yard has built up around the base;therfore causing the rot.
Old 04-13-01, 11:48 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Use an 8' pressure-treated 2X4. Get a brand-name or one with an American Wood Preservers Bureau (AWPB) stamp. Most are guaranteed for 50 years.
You can cut the old 2X4 out with a reciprocating saw. Use a metal cutting blade to separate the porch studs from piece that you're replacing.
Install it just as More said (HE's the pro at this.)
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: