Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Install baseboard over tongue and grove panels

Old 01-25-16, 02:56 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I did our cabin with 6 inch vertical tongue in grove knotty pine with a vertical V profile in middle and joint. I did the walls first as I figured I could hide the ends by ceiling trim and floor baseboard. Hardwood flooring down now. When I apply the baseboard there are gaps where the diamond profile is. Should I caulk these? Should I have installed baseboard thenT&G on top? I worry the gaps will fill with dust and dirt over time. What should I do.

Old 01-25-16, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 942 Votes on 860 Posts
Assuming the baseboard is painted, yes... caulk the gap. If the vertical v-groove is not painted, you will want to mask off each v-groove with painters tape, caulk and tool, then remove the tape. You could have installed a horizontal backer where the baseboard goes... set the vertical v-groove on top, then run the base even with the top of the backer.

Old 01-25-16, 03:49 PM
D
i am using basic pine as trim, so could have just installed that first and then installed pine verticals above it, but wanted to finish walls before flooring. I see your suggestion of doing that with another true baseboard in front. Good idea. The ceiling was uneven in old cabin, so with hiding both ends with trim, I could cut multiple pieces at once and nail them up quickly. Now I will be caulking.

Old 01-25-16, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Anything of equal thickness to your vertical v-groove, and equal in width to your baseboard. A 1x4, for example, if your vertical 1x6 v-groove is 3/4" thick and your baseboard is 3 1/2" tall.

Old 01-26-16, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
IMO it would be better to use a clear latex caulking instead of white caulking painted to match the baseboard [the wall should be sealed first] My son's house is done similarly although most of the walls had the T&G installed horizontally with just one [maybe two] walls installed on a diagonal. I think the gaps were just left on the diagonal wall.

Old 01-26-16, 11:43 AM
D
I don't understand the clear caulk. Aren't you just going to paint the caulked gaps the same color as baseboard? I was planning on regular paintable caulk?

Old 01-26-16, 12:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
IMO it would look busy if you fill those gaps with white caulk not to mention time consuming to do a neat job. Clear caulk would fill the gap and wouldn't need painting.

Old 05-25-16, 04:45 PM
D
If I install a 3/4 inch baseboard horizontal backer, and then but the vertical tongue and grove above it, will there eventually be ugly gaps at the butt joints?

Old 05-25-16, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
All butt joints that meet the backer will obviously need to be caulked. How well the caulking lasts will have a lot to do with the quality of the caulk, how clean the joint was, how tight the joint was, how well the caulk was applied and tooled, and how well the v-groove is nailed and/or glued (limiting movement). Pretty much every piece of painted trim gets caulked on every edge, so that joint is no different than any other. Fortunately, wood does not expand and contract as much in its length as it does in its width. The point of using the backer below the v-groove is that imo it's easier to caulk a fine bead AROUND the profile and not have to fill and tool all those triangular voids with caulk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: