Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dark pine trim, am I being stupid?

MN

07-12-16, 07:41 AM   #1  
Dark pine trim, am I being stupid?

Hi all,
New to this forum, but I suspect I'll be back a lot as I undertake an unending pile of projects on my home. Currently I'm working on a single room. It's really a pilot project to prove my vision for the rest of the house to the wife. Currently, I have parquet floors, off white paint and pretty standard oak trim. There is a huge bank of windows on one side and a 2 large doorways. Sorry for all the description, but I feel its important to understand for my questions.

My idea is to essentially create my own, simple trim. Simple craftsman on the windows and doorways and 1X4 for the baseboard. My thought it to do straight 1X4 on the baseboard, but skimming through these forums, it seems everyone is obsessed with MDF. I cut and stained the trim for a single doorway, again to sort of pilot the idea, see the picture.

This leads me to a couple questions:
1. Has anyone seen this in a spot that it looks good? Sepcifically, stained 1X4 alone as the baseboard? It looks great (in my head), but I'm having trouble finding it elsewhere.
2. Can I get away with common pine board? I've been buying "select" and it works great with a simple stain and 2 coats of poly. But its 3x the cost of common. Will some pre-sanding do the trick for me?

Thanks for reading

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-12-16, 08:59 AM   #2  
IMO the 1x4 looks better if it has either a base cap installed on top or if the top edge of the 1x4 is routed. In my house I planed sawmill 1x5s and used an ogee bit on the top for my baseboard.

Select is usually knot free, not so with the regular 1xs. Only you can determine if it's acceptable to you or not.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MN

07-12-16, 11:22 AM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. Routing the top is the advice I'm seeing a lot. I guess I'll try this room without and another with. I plan to live in the house for several years, so I can always change.

I don't think I'll be alright with the look of the regular. You're right about the knot free. I think I can get away with the regular for the 1X2's on the headers, and select on the 1x4s

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-12-16, 12:18 PM   #4  
Besides how it looks [and that depends on the person] just using a 1x without doing anything to the top edge leaves a little ledge that would be prone to collect dirt/dust.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

07-12-16, 03:48 PM   #5  
Generally a 1x6 will look better than a 1x4 for baseboard when the casing is 1x4. Its a design proportion.

And no, you should not just use #2 & btr lumber for your baseboard unless you want knots in your trim. IMO, that would look like crap.

Search this Thread