1x6 pine t&g install

Old 07-24-16, 06:31 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1x6 pine t&g install

I'm remodeling my 1994 model mobile home and installing pine tongue and groovery paneling horizontally on the walls. Right now the walls are the generic mobile home walls that are screwed to the studs. If I'm right, the home used insulated panels under the vinyl siding so there is nothing between the studs.

My plan is to remove the walls, add insulation between the studs (to add onto the existing insulation) and use a finishing nailer to nail the tongue directly to the stud.

Are there benefits to leaving the original wall panels and just nailing the wood paneling to the studs through the existing panels?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-16, 07:38 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
How are you going to add to the insulation when the stud bay will already be filled with insulation?
If you removed the paneling you would have a potential air gap every 5-1/2"
What's the plan on having to deal with every window and door opening and moving the outlets out if you build the wall out?

Old 07-24-16, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've never seen a MH that didn't have insulation in the exterior walls. You could remove a little of the wall covering to check for sure. As Joe said you need a solid sheet of something to prevent air from coming thru any joints in the T&G. You'll also need electrical extension boxes on any wall that you add the boards to.

Old 07-24-16, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Hope I understand from the OP. You are saying you are going to install T&G 1x6 planks? Or 4x8 T&G looking panels? What is the thickness of the wall cavity, now? Some use 2x3 and some use 2x4 studs. If your plans are to remove the insulation anyway, you can gain another R2 by using Roxul in the cavities, the place your wall covering over it. If you use panels, they are too thin and will warp too badly to use alone. THey need a better backer such as sheetrock. T&G planks will work fine once you have removed the existing covering. Otherwise you will need to extend the receptacles and switches, as Marksr indicated.

Old 07-24-16, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Most MHs of that time period used a mixture of 1/4" paneling and 1/4" drywall for wall covering. They often have 1x2s dado'd into the exterior studs to provide backing [support] for the paneling.