Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Help, trying to prime paneling, going terribly

Old 10-25-16, 06:06 AM

We bought our first house, a small 1950s ranch, paneling all over the place. Yesterday we go to paint the paneling in the front room (I've painted paneling in my moms house years ago and remember it being much easier)(maybe memory is just like that?) and it's not just bleeding through ... The gross paneling has somehow seemed to have 'gotten on' my primer and made the primer look like it's a light brown color in a lot of spaces! We used kilz water base latex I believe. I don't know what to do! I tried a second coat in two spots and it's not great, I didn't think I would need 3+ coats of just primer on this! Can anyone help me or have advise? We of course had washed these walls before trying to prime. This is so disheartening, we bought a 5 gallon bucket but I'm thinking of maybe trying to buy a single gallon in the sinzser 123 someone had mentioned to me, and see if we have better luck..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-16, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

You would be better off using a solvent based primer. Kilz2 does a poor job of hiding stains and is reported to have adhesion issues. I never use it.

The paneling's finish shouldn't bleed thru the primer, I wonder if there are nicotine stains on the paneling and that is what is coming thru ?? Paneling normally takes 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish to get complete coverage. The primer's main job is to provide adhesion to the paneling's finish.

Old 10-25-16, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, you used the wrong primer - I'm with Mark than oil based primer is the right call.

Old 10-25-16, 04:50 PM
Thank you for your advise, what do you think I should use? The zinssner 123 people have suggested (excuse my spelling please) also is water based I think? I know kilz has an oil based but you are not suggesting kilz I think. What do you think?

Old 10-26-16, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil base Kilz is fine, just not the latex formula. With Zinnser I'd use the Bullseye oil base primer.

Old 10-26-16, 04:53 AM
Group Moderator
If your primer is turning yellow I suspect someone smokes or smoked. Thorough cleaning of the walls can help but it's surprisingly difficult to remove. Covering with oil based primer is the best way to cover it and move on. I have had good luck with Kilz and Zinzer both being the oil based variety. The water based versions do NOT work as well as the oil based. Oil based takes longer to dry and it's more annoying to clean your brush and roller but it's well worth the hassle (or just throw the brush and roller away when you are done).

Old 10-26-16, 08:31 AM
thank you so much

Awesome. Thank you SO much. I now feel like I know what my next move is. And being we are basically broke, buying things in error really hurts. Tonight, after work, I will buy either oil based kilz or zissner, single gallon and see what happens. Although being im very mad at kilz right now I will try to buy the zinssner -unless its way more expensive. Really really appreciate you taking your time to try to help me, all of you. Thank you!
-Allison
will post how it went tomorrow.

Old 10-26-16, 08:37 AM
ps - Also its not like I didn't ask the people at the depot about which primer to buy. I should have joined here first and not wasted by breath. Just disheartening, I TRY to make informed decisions! ok, enough complaining from me.

Old 10-26-16, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
I think you will find that better products and advice can be found at a paint store than a paint department.

Old 10-26-16, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's hard to get good advice at any big box store While they know a little about the products they sell in their dept most don't have any working knowledge of those products. When you trade at a store that the pros frequent the staff is generally better trained and when questions arise there is often a pro in the store than can be asked.

Old 10-28-16, 07:38 PM
Ok the oil based primer is a god send. Thank you all for your good advise. I took pics to post but maybe I can't post them. I don't see where I can add them. If I figure it out I will post them!

Old 10-29-16, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator