Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

wood hanging pegs on wood trim on wall

wood hanging pegs on wood trim on wall

Old 04-30-01, 09:31 AM
Visiting Guest
I am doing a look in my daughter's room that we find to be attractive and functional.
In the past, however, I have found that I am not quite satisfied with the strength of the finished project.
I am hoping I can get some trick to solve this for me.
I am mounting pine trim which is about 1/4" x 2" all around the room. I plan on installing "country" type peg hooks spaced evenly all around as well. Some of these hooks will be used for her robe, clothes, etc., ohters will just be decorative - hang some beads or a hat, etc.
Now, my problem is this - the ideal way to install these hooks is to screw them in from the back of the trim and use a little wood glue for estra strength and and then, glue and nail the trim to the wall. However, in this case, the narrow part of the peg, the part that should sit in the pre-drilled hole, is longer (or deeper) than the 1/4" depth of the trim it's being mounted in to.
If you do indeed understand my babbling - what is the best way to tackle this so I get a worry-free result?
Thank you for your time.

Old 05-11-01, 05:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anbeduma,
Sounds as though you have selected a screen door lathe molding strip. You're right, not very sturdy. If the weight of the hung objects is no more than you mentioned, you may be alright. Try cutting off the end of the wooden peg then then screw from the back and glue the peg flush to your molding. Make sure you attach the molding at all the wall studs. A 1 X 2 molding strip probably would be a better choice. Then you cold pre-drill for the pegs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: