Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Baseboard ?

10-18-17, 11:06 PM   #1  
Baseboard ?

I am looking to touch up the house I am currently staying in. The baseboards bother me, a lot of them are not flush with the wall. ( pictures attached ). I was wondering what is the best way to go about fixing this.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

10-18-17, 11:31 PM   #2  
Are the boards straight and the walls bowed or vice versa? If it's the boards, you might be able to nail or trim screw them flat. If it's the walls, there might not be much you can do. That looks awfully big to caulk, and then you'd have to re-paint that gawdawful pink. Probably tough to match, so now you'd have to do a whole wall or more...ehhhh, is it worth it?

You might be able to put a cap on to lessen the look of the gap, but you'd still be doing painting.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-19-17, 02:16 AM   #3  
I'd draw up the baseboard tighter to the wall if possible otherwise you need to add base cap [shoe mold would also work] as Vic suggested.

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TN

10-22-17, 09:49 AM   #4  
Baseboard

Baseboard is probably nailed too low. The bevel on the bottom edge of the drywall will allow the bottom edge of the baseboard to pull in when nailed. This causes a gap between the wall and the top edge of the baseboard.

Group Moderator

WI

10-24-17, 07:55 AM   #5  
I am looking to touch up the house I am currently staying in
This makes me think you might not be the owner. If that is the case, you should do nothing without first getting permission from the owner.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

10-24-17, 05:10 PM   #6  
Lack of nails is my take on this, re-nail and then caulk to seal. Simple.

Search this Thread