Substitute for Cedar Shingles?

Old 05-14-01, 10:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just started looking into this, and although I did expect them to be expensive, did not quite expect this kind of sticker shock.

The back of our house (South side under a huge ash tree) will need at least some of the cedar shingles replaced, quite possibly all of them. A telephone inquiry to the one dealer in town who sells such a thing reveals that cedar shingles are $195.00 a square and I will need 2.5 to 3 squares (ouch.)

Some cretin, er... person, painted the cedar shingles in the past and since I will have to paint shingles to match (or repaint the whole house, rather) I was wondering if there is any other wood species of shingle? I've never seen/heard of any but that doesn't mean there isn't such a thing.

As always, thanks for any/all help!

Old 05-20-01, 03:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile cedar shingles

DIYlady, My goodness, I don't know where you live, but that cost is exorbitant! I live in NW Oklahoma and when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with a dining room wall, I checked on wood shingles. We only have 2 lumber yards near here and they were $25.00 a bundle, $75.00 a square and I thought that was high! My best advice is to shop around. We just made a 400 mile round trip after metal roofing and saved ourselves half the cost of the local product. It might be worth your while to rent a trailer from uhaul or someone else to go after your shingles. Why, why would anyone paint shingles??? Makes you wonder about the future of the species, doesn't it? lol Just so you know, I did shingle my dining room wall, but I did it with OLD shakes - free for the picking up off the ground. I found a house that was being torn down and was told to 'help yourself' so I did. Our home is rustic decor and the wall looks great - people make nice comments about it. Was a lot of work, but lots of fun, too.
I wish you luck in your search. We decided to go with metal so as to not have to do anything to the roof again in the next several decades. Living in tornado alley, didn't want to spend a lot of time picking up shingles out of the yard again. lol Best of luck. Deidra

Old 05-22-01, 07:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You live in Tornado Alley? What do you think Central Alabama is <g>? To make matters worse, until early this year we lived in a single-wide mobile home which I have heard referred to as "tornado bait." No, seriously, these shingles are on the sides of the house, "normal" asphalt-type on the roof. You have to remember that you'd be a lot closer to the source of Western Cedar than we are, so I suspect that a lot of what we're paying is freight. Y'all would have the same problem if you want any SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) which is the best framing lumber you can buy. I did get this quote from just one source though, you jogged my memory about a "discount" building/salvage company that I sometimes frequent. I'll have to give them a call.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-01, 04:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I wish you the best of luck with your shingles!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: