Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Question on basement stairs (banister/balusters)

Old 06-01-18, 01:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, probably an easy question for the more advanced ones here but on one side of my basement stairs, there is a half wall that goes down from the ceiling. Thereís a space where I am looking to put a banister with balusters (have a child thatís starting to walk, so itís a big concern). I am attaching pictures but can add more if needed.
The bottom part (in yellow) and the ďpostĒ at the bottom do not line up (thereís about an inch gap noted in blue), so I canít just hang a banister there like I did on the other side. Iím not sure about a Newell post due to the space needed, but who the heck am I lol? Any ideas please let me know. If you need more info or pictures, I will do that as well.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-18, 01:36 PM
J
Hereís the pictures, for some reason they did not attach the first time.

Attached Images   
Old 06-01-18, 02:24 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I would build out the open section of the stairs to be the thickness of a 2x4 wall. Sheet rock the outside and cap it with a piece of wood. This should line things up closer to your column at the bottom. You can then use that column as your newel post and the top of the new wall to attach a plowed railing base Your top rail would attach to the newel on the bottom and to the under belly of the upper part of the ceiling above it. Add your ballusters and insert your fillets to finish it off.

Old 06-01-18, 02:29 PM
J
Thanks for the reply. If Iím understanding correctly, are you saying to enclose the area? I was trying to avoid that. My mistake if Iím misunderstanding

Old 06-01-18, 02:58 PM
No, duplicate the profile of the wall under the open area and turn that into a 2x4 wall. It does not change the profile of your opening at all. In other words, build out the existing opening to allow for a surface to attach a railing system.

Old 06-01-18, 03:04 PM
Here is the area that you build out to a 2x4 depth and then put a traditional plowed rail system on top of it.

Name:  2ega8f4a8.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  13.6 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: