Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Filling HUGE gap between wall and new interior door trim

Old 06-24-18, 06:51 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We just finished installing new front door in our 94 year old home. Old walls and the trim around the door has a gap anywhere from 1/8" to as big as 3/4". Using backer rod seems the way to go but then again not the way to go where there gap is so huge. Is there another way to go about this or just caulk and let dry and keep building it up? THANK YOU for any help!

Old 06-24-18, 06:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You stuff with fiberglass insulation before trim out or you can use a low expansion foam to insulate the space. Your trim should cover all this.

Old 06-24-18, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
Don't know what kind of gap you are talking about. Post a picture or try to describe it better.

Old 06-24-18, 07:01 PM
K
Thanks, we already did insulate and will be using the foam from the other side as the exterior of the door is actually in our enclosed front porch. I apologize for not saying correctly perhaps but this is on the interior walls. Thank you!

Old 06-24-18, 07:08 PM
So you are saying that regular door casing will not cover the gap? If this is the case, you need to reposition the door so it is more centered in the opening before insulating and trimming.

Old 06-24-18, 07:15 PM
K
sorry, trying to figure out how to get a pic on here.

the trim work is all on. I like to caulk between the molding and the walls before I paint the woodwork. the walls are old and not perfectly flush with the new door trim. So there is a gap between the wall and the trim and quite large in areas.

Old 06-24-18, 07:24 PM
K
sorry! I dont know how to get my pic on here.

Old 06-24-18, 08:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
That probably means the door is not plumb... or the wall is not plumb. (Or both) When you open the door just a Crack so that it is open maybe 1/8"... and you look up and down the door edge, is that 1/8" gap consistent top to bottom? If it isnt, that means the door jamb is not plumb on either the hinge side, jamb side, or both.

I think I understand, you are saying there is a a between the outside edge of the trim and the wall... that the door jam is sticking in too far (past the plane of the wall). Sounds like it should have been installed flush with the wall.

How to insert photos: How to insert pictures.

Old 06-24-18, 08:50 PM
You also may have tried to install a stock door designed for a 2x4 wall and the wall was actually a plaster wall that requires a thicker door jamb. You can add a jamb extension to account for the difference. Look at the instructions on adding a picture, resize the picture to lower resolution if needed and make sure it is orientated correctly. Doing this on a laptop is the most successful way of uploading pictures.

Old 06-25-18, 07:25 AM
K
hope this worked. I apologize for the rotation as I did save it correctly. I am not tech savvy whatsoever. I am going to caulk it and build it up. the door is plumb and level but the house/wall is not. Door opens exactly as it should and that was even with the door manufacturer tech there. Long story but this is our 3rd door. I will probably never use the manufacturer again. It is what it is....

Name:  Front door whole small.jpg
Views: 16519
Size:  72.4 KBName:  front door gap small.jpg
Views: 16940
Size:  32.5 KB

Old 06-25-18, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
I'd remove that back band and replace it with a wider one that you'd scribe to fit the wall.

Old 06-26-18, 07:31 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I can think of a couple options. One would be to scribe (cut, sand, plane) a piece of wood to fill that gap. Tap it in there with a little glue, sand the seam then apply your finish. Second would be to dig out some of the plaster/drywall so that the gap is a uniform thickness and you can slip in a piece of pre-milled wood at 1/2" or 3/4" thickness; glue, sand, then skim coat the wall a little bit to blend and repair any of the damage you did getting the wood in there. Third, cheapest easiest but worst looking method would be to get some reasonably flexible trim like maybe a base shoe, stop moulding or cove and cover up the gap.

Old 07-02-18, 07:58 AM
K
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! I ended up filing it with caulk and just took the time to do small passes and let it dry well. Of course leveling it all off evenly and it looks great! A nice neat line has allowed me to make the wall and trim paint even up excellently! I was pretty sure this would be impossible but it worked. Made me realize I can caulk pretty well!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: