Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Wainscoating over plaster walls with raised glue dots

Old 07-02-18, 09:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are renovating the 1/2 bath in our "new" house that was built in 1925. We removed outdated paneling from the walls, which left a lot of glue dots (~2" in diameter, 1/8" thick) all over the walls. We found that we had three options.. skim coat another layer of plaster over the glue dots, rip down the plaster and put up new Sheetrock, or install wainscoting over the glue dots. We are planning to go with the latter, but are unsure of what preparation we may need to do. Is it ok to install over the glue dots? Will it be uneven? Any input is appreciated!

Attached Images   

Last edited by jennyyb43; 07-02-18 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old 07-02-18, 10:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
I would scrape off the glue dots. I use a painters tool or for really tough ones a flat hoe with a long handle. If scraping them off doesn't work a belt sander with a very coarse belt will grind them down.

Old 07-02-18, 10:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I'd also recommend scraping them off/down. When a putty knife doesn't work I'll use a pull scraper - like you use to scrape paint on exterior siding. It's easier to deal with and/or repair low spots in the plaster than have those high spots under the wainscotting.

Old 07-02-18, 10:21 AM
J
We tried scraping off and it leaves a pretty big hole in the wall, so I assume we would have to spackle those potentially with a wire patch?

Old 07-02-18, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Unless it's an actual hole, damage done by scraping is pretty easy to repair.

Old 07-04-18, 11:22 AM
W
Run a utility knife around the edge of each glue spot, stick the edge of a thin "putty" knife under it, and pull the paper and glue off of the drywall. It should come off fairly cleanly, but there is no guarantee it will not take some extra drywall underneath it in spots. This should not be a problem if you are going to install TRUE wainscot, which means actually installing a thin panel of finish grade ply inside your wain's frame. The ply will rest against the flat of the drywall, as opposed to being pushed out by the glue, which will surely be visible when looking at it from an angle. Nobody but you will ever know there are "holes" in your drywall behind the ply but you when its done.
If you are planning on doing the "cheaper" version of wain, framing and then trimming directly over drywall and then painting, you will of course have to put multiple coats of skim over the cut out areas first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: