Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

stone or brick veneer over wood paneling

Old 05-07-19, 08:14 PM

I have one wall of wood paneling in my dining/living room area and there happens to be a very ugly fireplace on that wall as well. Iím wanting to install brick or stone veneer over that entire wall and the fireplace brick as well. Is it possible to just apply the scratch coat over the top of the wood paneling?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-19, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Brick needs to sit on a foundation... not just on floor joists.

Old 05-07-19, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
The right solution is probably to remove the fireplace - I have one in my basement that will get removed some day when that project gets to the top of my list.

Note that I said 'right,' not 'easy.'

Old 05-08-19, 01:28 AM
Iím wanting to install brick or stone veneer over that entire wall
Over the existing paneling, probably not, but read the installation specifications for the material(s) recommended.

Most likely you will need some type of surface that is stronger, like drywall or plywood that can be installed on top of the paneling!

Old 05-08-19, 02:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The weight of the brick/stone is the main concern. Is the floor a concrete slab or wood construction?
btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 05-08-19, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
I would first attach a masonry backer board like Hardie Backer or cement board. Then install light weight synthetic veneer brick or stone.

Old 05-08-19, 07:23 AM
The weight of the brick/stone is the main concern. Is the floor a concrete slab or wood construction?
btw - welcome to the forums!
. Thanks! This is wood construction. Main floor dining/living room area; perimeter wall. The paneling is solid wood, not the cheap particle board type. Itís the only reason I asked. Iíve read veneer cannot be installed over drywall, but masonry and wood is ok. This paneling doesnít seem to be on top of any drywall either. Iíd attach a photo but I havenít figured out how to do that yet.

Old 05-08-19, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 05-08-19, 08:12 AM
Iíve read veneer cannot be installed over drywall,
It can, I did the wall in our great room with a dry stack look veneer. Drywall was an acceptable substrate but I had to install mesh and scratch coat.

Every material is different, so that is why you HAVE to look at the specific instructions for your product!

Old 05-29-19, 08:12 AM
If you are going to apply the stone over a Portland cement scratch coat with mortar you will need to install some felt paper behind the lath. Or use paper backed lath. If you choose to install lath you should be good with 15# felt or regular black moisture resistant building paper since this is for interior use, But can you just use mastic adhesive?
One other thing if you use diamond mesh metal lath use sell furred, if you use woven wire it is almost always self furred anyway.