Climatizing Baseboard

Old 06-30-19, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Climatizing Baseboard

I am installing about 200 linear feet of and am itching to get going, but before cutting to fit I believe I should leave the boards in the house to allow them to get aclimated to the home's temperature and humidity. I am wondering if this is really necessary and if so for how long must I wait. Also, if the cut boards are relatively short (no longer the 5 feet) is this really needed as long as they are nailed soon after cutting?

If the material makes a difference, I am using fingerjoint pine in bathrooms. I may go with mdf or stick with fingerjoint pine for the rest of the house. Those will be cut as long as 14 feet. I am in a dry climate (Southern California) and have no idea where the boards are coming from.

For now, the boards are primered front and back and I have them stacked on blocks to allow for better circulation. I am thinking that if they need to time to become climatized they will do so sooner if I wait to paint them.

Suggestions? (I don't think I will have problem with the cutting or nailing, as I did some crown 10 years ago that has yet to open up, but that was mdf and I don't recall how long I let it sit before cutting.)

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-19, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
Anything paint grade is getting caulked anyway so this is a non issue. Any movement will be quite minimal.

klawman213 voted this post useful.
Old 06-30-19, 11:24 AM
Thanks XSleeper. I haven't used this forum for a couple of years, but I remember you and that your 411 is worth taking ( as is the help of most all of the regulars or moderators).

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 06-30-19, 12:26 PM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
I may go with mdf or stick with fingerjoint pine for the rest of the house
MDF is good stuff as long as it's not anywhere you can touch it!

I use it for ceiling cove and layered trim but would never put it down on door casings or baseboards since it is so easily dented.

Old 07-01-19, 02:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
MDF paints beautifully but as Marq said it can be easily damaged. I've never known of any wood trim needing to acclimate. I couldn't count the new construction houses I've painted where the trim was nailed up the same day it was delivered.

Old 07-01-19, 04:18 AM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
Environmental acclimation is critical for flooring, for building products this is the first time I have ever heard it mentioned.

Old 07-02-19, 12:38 AM
Between the two of you I am settled on doing not just the bathroom BB in pine. A few years ago I had no problem with MDF, but that was for crown up where you don't touch it.