Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Filling in gap between drywall and molding need advice

Old 07-03-19, 11:27 PM

I have just purchased a home and the inspector did notice this nor did I. This is something not visible to the eye looking straight on. But the gap is huge. I was thinking of using ac insulator foam because its square shaped and long and just having that as a temporary fix. But let me you think.
[img]https://*******/gm6g6FW[/img]

Last edited by extremejn01; 07-03-19 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Image correction
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-19, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Welcome to the forums!

Your link doesn't work, here are instructions for posting pics on the forums - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Usually when caulk isn't enough to fill a gap like that another piece of molding is best. I'd think twice before using spray foam as it can be quite messy and hard to clean up any excess,

extremejn01 voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-04-19, 05:59 AM
This is how it looks from head on. And it isnt until you get super close and turn to the side that you notice it. Not even the inspector noticed it. I'd say it's about an inch or an inch and a half. It's like they spent all their money rehabbing the bathrooms and kitchen and everywhere else they cut corners. The house is nice but has some minor details like this

Attached Images   
Old 07-04-19, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 73
Is the gap behind the casing? If so you could either install a band around the casing or stuff backer rod into the void and caulk.

Old 07-04-19, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 127
I would probably put some painter's tape on the side of the casing and also mask off the wall in a straight line... then fill that gap with several coats of lightweight setting compound.