Cracked window sill

Old 08-17-19, 10:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cracked window sill

I have a window sill that is cracked all the way across and is pretty much hanging by a thread. Someone tried to stand on it, believe it or not.

The crack is right back toward the window, so there's nothing there to clamp it to when I go to glue it. So I'll have to hold it together manually while the glue dries.

Therefore I'm wondering, is there a kind of glue that will dry fast so I won't have to hold the sill together for long?

The repair is mainly cosmetic, I'm not going to be putting things like flowerpots or anything on the sill, and hopefully no one else is going to stand on it.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-19, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Can you post a picture for us ? How-to-insert-pictures.

When I made a repair like that I drilled several small holes and used brads to hold the piece while the glue dried.

Old 08-17-19, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
I agree with Pete, glue and a few nails, tape might also work.

Old 08-17-19, 04:34 PM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
Is the crack, relative to the long dimension of the sill, vertical, parallel or some of both?

Old 08-17-19, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
I assume you mean the window "stool", the wide trim inside on the bottom of a window?

Old 08-17-19, 05:21 PM
I looked at the instructions (thanks for those) but so far haven't figured out how to post a picture. Will keep trying. My phone screen is pretty tiny, which complicates things.

The sill cracked from end to end along its whole length. The best way I can describe it is that the part of the sill that that sticks out cracked off from the rest of the sill and is now hanging on by a few wood fibers.

Old 08-17-19, 05:26 PM
Yes, thanks, it is the stool.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but this window doesn't have an apron under the stool. There used to be a radiator right under the window, that may have been why.

Old 08-17-19, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Assuming the windows behind the stool all open you would probably just need a bunch of quick clamps and some wood glue. Mask off the wall and floor to keep them clean because glue will drip out the bottom. Open all the windows, squirting wood glue into the crack in the stool, then put as many clamps on the stool as needed to squeeze it back together. In about 3 or 4 hours you can remove the clamps.

Adding an apron will help with the stability of the stool. The apron length is the same as the width of the window trim, if you measure for the left side of the casing to the right side of the casing.... outside to outside.

Old 08-17-19, 06:26 PM
This may be one of those situations where you have to look at the thing in person to see the problem.

Basically, since all of the sill (stool) that stuck out cracked off, there's nothing left sticking out to clamp the cracked-off piece to.

Old 08-17-19, 06:29 PM
OK, sorry, I just read your advice over again and now I see what you mean about how to clamp it - thank you!

Old 08-17-19, 06:39 PM
I could have thought about it for a hundred years and that never would have occurred to me. Just went and looked at the window and it's going to work perfectly.

Thanks so much for the great solution to my problem, and the other instructions that will make the job a lot easier. Also for the info about the apron, I would really like to replace that.

All the advice and replies very much appreciated!

Old 08-17-19, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Be sure you have some wet rags and after you get it clamped, wipe off any glue that squeezes out above and below the stool. It's easier to clean up if you do it right away before it dries.

The apron gets nailed to the wall and to the sloped sill, (the part currently under your stool) then lastly you can nail down through the stool into the apron, if needed.

Old 08-20-19, 04:11 AM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
The stool part of the window frame (located on the inside of the window) is a separate piece and usually nailed in place. May have to remove the apron (frame piece under the stool) in combination with the stool(whats left of it) because casing will prevent stool from being pushed upwards.

Old 08-20-19, 06:05 PM
Thanks, Bob - glad to say, though, the stool on this window can be pushed back into place, maybe because there's no apron.

XS, thanks for the tip about the rags, that will save a lot of work later on. Also for instructions re: replacing the apron - it sounds like a job I can actually do.

I'm not sure what kind of glue to use to fix the crack. My first choice, frugally speaking, would be an ancient container of liquid hide glue that I already have. At some point the nozzle cap was lost and I replaced it with a piece of aluminum foil, but amazingly, the glue hasn't dried up - still sloshes around in the container. Any idea whether hide glue is okay forever, as long as it's still liquid?

I thought I had clamps I could use, but after poking around in the basement, I realized that none of the ones I have are big enough. The stool is about 3 1/2" deep. I was thinking to get some cheap clamps (because I may never use them again) at Harbor Freight . They have all different length clamps, but when you go to the product pages, they all say the throat depth is only 2 1/2". https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inc...amp-96214.html

Also, come to think of it, how many clamps would I need? The stool is about a yard wide.

Old 08-20-19, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
No. Just buy a $3 bottle of yellow Titebond wood glue. As for the clamps, if you are going to Harbor Freight, get about 5 of these. Then sell them at your next garage sale.

Old 08-20-19, 08:42 PM
Okay, now I should be set. I was looking at "throat depth" from the wrong direction, so to speak. Thanks again for all the good advice, this forum is the best!