Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Question about end-to-end joints on T&G wall paneling

Old 07-22-20, 08:55 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am installing knotty pine T&G panels (6" x 8' long) into a garage. I am wondering about the end-to-end joints that will be out in the wall (not corners). I know some more processed boards had T&G on the ends, mine don't. The joints out in the wall sections don't really have to be perfect. I'm thinking that with T&G that should keep the ends from warping and wouldn't necessarily have to meet up on a stud (mine are on 24" centers). So, can I get a "decent" fit with just good square-cut ends that could be in-between studs? I can staple black paper or paint the foil board insulation black to tone down any gaps.

If that won't be considered good enough, what would make it acceptable? Putting the joints onto studs? Bevel cutting the ends as is typically done with base boards? Cutting slots and putting a joint biscuit in?

Thanks,
BB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-20, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Typically the ends should always fall on a stud. This will usually result in the flattest appearance. If that creates too much waste, yes you could biscuit the ends together, or glue and staple a block to the back side of one so that the other can be stapled to it. But if the ends fall between studs you might find that it tends to be a little wavy, which can make your tongue and groove a little more difficult to lock together.

Old 07-23-20, 03:33 AM
M
Received 151 Votes on 138 Posts
Yes they should end/join on a stud.
Is it V groove?

If yes then you cut both ends at a 45 bevel.
Then 45 a small bit on the board that will be the top board to give the V groove.
I do this with a sander.
Now if if the boards shrink in length you will not see through.

If not meeting on a stud you want the top board (with the V) to have the shortest distance to the nearest stud so it holds the underneath board from warping outwards.

I hope the above makes sense as I had trouble trying to explain it.

Old 07-23-20, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
What are your finishing plans for the T&G? If you wish to stain them it would be quicker/easier to apply the stain and first coat of poly on it before installation. I usually stain, poly, sand and poly the boards on saw horses before the carpenter nails it up. It saves me a lot of time that way and I only need to apply 1 coat after it's nailed up. Just be sure you don't build up the poly on the edges so it doesn't interfere with the T&G fit.

Old 07-24-20, 08:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I don't think it's exactly a "V" groove, the top sides have a bit of straight edge to them before it angles. I will also be staining and poly. I'm doing about 600 sq ft which does seem like a lot to do before I hang it but thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it.

BB