Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Best type of wood for outdoor lattice?

Best type of wood for outdoor lattice?

Old 06-14-01, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

What’s the best type of wood to build an outdoor lattice? The finished product will be painted. So are there any painting techniques that would increase the lattice’s life and appearance?
Thanks!

Old 06-14-01, 02:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Javahead,
The outdoor wood choices, depending on availability in your area are, PT lumber, cedar, and cypress. PT needs to dry thoroughly before painting. Cedar needs to be sealed well dur to the resins in the wiid. If there is no ground contact you can use pine. I buy PT 2 x 6's and rip them into 1/4 inch slices. The other option is buying ready-made pt or plastic lattice.
fred

Old 06-21-01, 05:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips. It seems pressure treated pine is the cheapest. Are there any advantages to using cypress or cedar? I want this thing to last a lifetime!

Old 06-21-01, 06:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Javahead,
There would be no distinct advantage in using the cedar or cypress, they just have very good rot-resistant qualities.
I build adirondack chairs from all three species. If, in your area, the pt lumber is the cheapest, go with it. Yhe only thing you need to do is let the wood dry ay least 30 days before painting. You might consider an outdoor stain if one is available in your desired color. If not, use a good quality exterior paint.
fred

Old 06-21-01, 08:49 PM
Visiting Guest
THANKS!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: