Crooked window jam..

Old 03-01-22, 06:07 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Crooked window jam..

I'm putting in a window extension jam, I think the window is out of plumb. Bottom sill jam is level and I have a 1/4" reveal all the way across, right side of the widow jam is plumbed level and also has a 1/4" reveal top and bottom. If I plumb the left side of the window jam I'm showing a 1/4" reveal on the bottom but a 1/2" reveal on the top. I think I only have 2 options, should I try to split the distance on the top which will make my jam a little off level on the left, or should I keep my jam plumbed level and show the 1/2" reveal on top and the 1/4" on the bottom?

Old 03-01-22, 09:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 754 Upvotes on 659 Posts
IMO it looks best to go with what you have. It might be a little off but it's not apt to draw attention to it like a mismatched jamb would.

Old 03-01-22, 12:45 PM
M
When you say go with what I have are you applying to keeping the window jam casing square and show a 1/2" reveal on the top side and a 1/4" reveal on the bottom side, that would make my side jam level then.

Old 03-01-22, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 754 Upvotes on 659 Posts
Generally if you keep the reveal the same throughout it's less noticeable than trying to make one piece level or square while the rest is out. It's better to be a little off and it not jump out at you than have some perfect and some off - that usually brings attention to the discrepancy.

Old 03-01-22, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
People don't walk around the house and put levels on the trim. You do what isn't going to look off. The trim should be symetrical when looking at the window straight on... all the reveals around the window should be the same when looking at it straight on. Sides parallel, top and bottom parallel, and square diagonally. You go with however level the window was when it was installed.

No one is going to notice anything from the side. If you are talking about the window being out of plumb and the width of the extension jamb being wider on one corner, you do what you have to so as to avoid caulking any big gaps or tipping the trim any more than about 1/8". The jambs should be tight to the window on all 4 corners and flush with the wall on all 4 corners. If they happen to be tapered, so be it. It's better to taper the trim than to caulk a giant gap. Tapers like that are not the sort of thing you notice, especially once window treatments are installed. If it looks wonky straight on, THAT you would probably notice.

Old 03-07-22, 04:14 AM
M
Did a little adjustments on the window jams and split the distance on the side reveals, looks pretty good now, nothing you can really see unless you knew it was there. Once I split the distance on the molding it's just about perfect, bubble just touching the line on my level. Once it's all stained and curtains on the window it'll never be noticeable, out of sight out of mind. Thanks for all the advice....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: