best wood type for screen/storm door

Old 07-25-01, 06:42 AM
Visiting Guest
I am looking to replace a wooden screen door onto our back screened in room.We live in the South & the door would be under a slight overhang but not totally protected from rain as if it were on a long deep porch. I really need a wooden storm/screen combo so that in the winter it would keep out the chill too.
My problem is that no one here locally sells them. I have to order them out of a catalog. The wood is usually pine or some similar wood which concerns me as to how long it will last. I plan to use a woodstain on it to match the cedar of the house. Friends have suggested that I get one custom made using cypress (available here, cedar or some other more durable wood. I hate paying close to $1000 for a door but don't want to have to replace one every 5 years or so. Any advice?

Old 07-30-01, 06:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Cypress will certainly outlast pine, unless the pine is pressure-treated, and then the pine should have a limited warranty of 50-years, if treated by a name-brand company (Weyerhaeuser, G-P, etc.).
Have you thought about just building your own screen/storm door out of that (p-t wood)?

Old 07-30-01, 07:40 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not really too handy & think this might be beyond me. The regular wood screen door from HD that we have up now has done ok so far. It is only about 3 years old & is sealed with a solid stain.I have only seen the combo doors in catalogs but a local millwork place here has said they probably can build one. I just am afraid it will cost over $500 to get it made out of a cypress or cedar. They didn't even mention pressure treated wood. Maybe that is too "rough" for a millwork place. I will give them a call & ask. Thanks for the help everyone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: