rebuilding old floors and walls

Old 08-19-01, 10:11 AM
Visiting Guest
I recently purchased an older home in the midwest. My floors seem to shake whenever you walk on them in some places.The house sits on a hill with a decreasing crawlspace toward the back of the house. In the back of the house there is termite damage to some of the floor joists and walls. I would like to replace all of it eventually but the back of the house needs it the most right now. I would like to know what kind of specs to use because as I have found many of the things in this house have been half done. Much of the support for the floor is cinder blocks and rocks stacked on top of each other. Also if this makes any difference the house is made from blocks that look like stone. Thanks for any help or advice.

Old 09-18-01, 05:58 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
HELLO DAVID
Some times termite damage goes hand in hand with dry wrought and dry wrought come from lack of ventilation...just to make sure check it out...If the termites are still working you need to get rid of them first and do what it takes to keep them out.......if the joists and framing is to come out make sure you remove all the damage and treat the surrounding area with "copper green" or similar product.
The shaking could come from the joist being under sized for the span if so you can add a girder, post and piers for support. Where you have a make shift post and pier change to new and up to date codes
check with the local building department, they will give you the code requirements for your area.....Good Luck.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: