Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lumber specs and dimensions

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 08:19 AM   #1  
Lumber specs and dimensions

I am a sub-amatuer woodworker. (i.e., I have yet to begin the smallest of projects...)

I am one of these people that must know all of my options before starting a project. I have a lot of projects in mind, but I can't get started because I am unsure of the different kinds, shapes, sizes, etc. of the lumber available for woodworking projects. Is there a book or perhaps an inventory chart that will describe all or most of these?

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-09-02, 07:04 PM   #2  
Trent Bridley
info

Hi,
A great place to get lots of information is the library. There are a lot of books that have lumber sizes, grades, and some will have sections building standards and load capacities. Ask the librarian to help you find whatever the main subject is that you are looking for. Lots of books to get ideas, plans and finishing
information.
good luck

VA

02-10-02, 03:47 AM   #3  
Pulaskidawg,
You can find alot of useful information right here on the net.
I just tried the best search engine going, Google.net and keyed in: lumber grades types
It's amazing what you can find; just learned something about melamine and I've been using it for years.
fred

Visiting Guest

02-10-02, 06:54 AM   #4  
Trent Bridley
google site

Hi,
I had seen this "google .com " mentioned before but had never tried it . Tried it out and it seems to be pretty well organized and informative, thanks for giving me the "shove".
I went into search "storage shed" and it brought up quite a few finds. But, still if you want someting like plans, for free, it looks as though the library is still the best bet as all of the sheds I looked at were buy the plans, kits and accessories. But still it looks like a site that I will be using alot now that I know what it is

again,
thanks

VA

02-10-02, 08:37 AM   #5  
Hi Trent,
You're right. A majority of the time plans on the net do cost $$$.
Sometimes, if you add 'free' to your search criteria you may occasionaly get lucky.
Google has been rated the best search engine by TechTV.
If you use Internet Explorer you can even dl a google toolbar for IE. This way you don't have to go to google first: saves some key strokes.
fred

Search this Thread