Pecan tongue & groove wood paneling

Old 02-12-02, 02:46 PM
dinas2hounds
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Pecan tongue & groove wood paneling

Hi,

I have a dilemma which I'm looking for some advice on. I bought a 1960's ranch style house which has a very large family room with a fireplace. The problem is...the entire room is covered in this beautiful pecan tongue & groove wood panel boards.

So you say what's the issue huh? Well, it's rather dark in there and personally I think it's a little dated.

In any case, my dilemma...Do I paint the wood?...YIKES!!!!
Would painting the wood bring down the value of the house?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dina

Old 02-15-02, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Upvotes on 142 Posts
Whoah! Have you thought about better lighting? Like recessed fixtures, wall lamps, things like that? Lighter carpet and furnishings, doors, etc... will also help. Some people would spend a small fortune to get pecan T&G walls. And, yes... I think the house would be worth more with the bare wood...a selling point. My living room has antique heart pine walls and it was a little dark, but I've added lights, lighter carpet, and off-white blinds. That helped a lot. Try to highlight the wall, rather than hide it.

My 2 cents

Old 02-22-02, 12:08 PM
tim964
Visiting Guest
Question

I have the same problem with darkly stained pine tongue and groove on the walls and sloped ceilings of the master bedroom in my house. My guess is the wood was installed in the late 50s early 60s and the time has come that it needs refinishing. Is there a way to lighten the finish on the wood without having to completely strip the wood? Can it be somehow bleached before I restain it a lighter color? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-22-02, 10:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I worked on a wall about 2 yrs ago, pine T&G. I rented a makita 4" power hand planer to remove the surface of the wood. It was much easier and more uniform than stripping or sanding. The wood was a nice warm light tan/red after I finished it. The planer makes a lot of dust though, but it's better than smelling stripper 6 mo. after the project is finished. I didn't stain it at all because aged pine has such a nice color. Planer cost me 15.00 a day to rent, used it for 2 days. Let us know what you decide to do!

Old 02-23-02, 09:25 AM
tim964
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help Cheese, unfortunately, I don't think that will work for me. I failed to mention in my previous post that there is a groove between each board, and I don't think there is any way to get the planer in that groove. Maybe I can plane the boards and use stripper in the grooves - I just don't think that I will end up with a uniform color that way.

Old 02-23-02, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok- you have v-joint. The wall I worked on had it too...The whole wall was painted white. I left the white paint in the groove, which gave the room a lighter look. It really looked nice. Maybe you could paint the grooves, then plane the flats. You wouldn't have to worry about keeping the paint between the lines because you'll be removing the surface anyway. There may be other options, but generally stripper won't lighten wood much.

Old 03-02-02, 01:04 PM
MVKidPlay
Visiting Guest
Wood paneling paint over or pop off

I'm wondering how it went with your wood paneling lightening? We have the same problem, except our wood paneling is just the standard thin strips of veneer. It makes the entire room too dark and we wanted to either paint over, or pop off the paneling. Please let us know how your experience turned out and any suggestions would be appreciated before we tackle this project. Thank you.

Old 03-04-02, 06:40 AM
tim964
Visiting Guest
Sorry MVKidPlay - I haven't done anything yet. I went out this weekend and bought some low odor stripper and some Parks wood bleach. I'm going to try it in an inconspicuous spot sometime this week and I'll let you know what happens.

Old 03-11-02, 04:28 AM
dinas2hounds
Visiting Guest
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I took the plunge and painted my Pecan tongue & groove panelling. Of course I left 2 walls au natural but painted the other 2 walls.

What a major difference! I wish I would have done this 3 years ago when I moved into the house. It doesn't look cheap or tacky. It looks wonderful.

Just an update....Dina

Old 06-08-02, 10:43 PM
cydceasar
Visiting Guest
Question tongue and groove paneling

I am converting an old dentist office into a bistro. It has wonderful pine tongue and groove wall paneling, but it is very, very dark and may not pass health code. My options are: paint (ouch), white wash slightly, remove and replace with plaster board or somehow lighten. I liked the painting one groove someone did. Keep in mind, this is an investment in a very conservative town, not my home. I need to have a bright cheerful establishment that will sell coffee, food, etc. The floor will be formica 12" tile squares, high quality. Most merchandising is upbeat and antique styled. Lots of color in other areas.

Any suggestions, ideas reaneling would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of painting, but it will kill me to paint such beautiful wood!

cydceasar@aol.com

Old 06-10-02, 06:15 AM
tim964
Visiting Guest
I have been using 3M easy stripper (I think that is what it is called) on my wood and I'm having good success. It does not take off all of the color, but it has lightened it significantly. I also bought some wood bleach at my local home center, but have not used that yet. I think for me, removal of the old shellack or varnish (which ever it is) will get the wood light enough to make me happy. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: