wood flooring

Old 02-21-02, 05:38 AM
benh7893
Visiting Guest
Question wood flooring

Hi all...I couldn't find a forum that seemed to be a better match for this question so....

We moved into a new house in October and have noticed that slowly throughout this winter that the cracks between the wood flooring in our house - especially the first floor - have started to get bigger. Here's my questions:

1. Is this normal? some cracks are getting close to 1/4"
2. What, if anything should we do to "fix" this?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-21-02, 09:01 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
I would guess you live in a cold climate. heating systems reduce the humidity in the home and natural wood products shrink. It is common to have tight joints in the summer and some opening in the winter. I would say 1/4 is excessive - but this also depends on how wide the individual boards are. If this is a brand new home, you should contact the builder. Maintaining a little higher humidity should help but this is not usually a problem in a brand new home - usually, they take a year to dry out. Do you by chance have a wood stove that you are using for heating - these will really dry out things unless you have some type of humidification.

Old 02-21-02, 09:45 AM
benh7893
Visiting Guest
The house is about 32 yrs old. There's only a few bigger cracks. Most are rather small, but noticeably bigger since the beginning of winter. And yes, we do live in a colder area (CT).

So would putting a humidifier in the room do the trick then?

Old 02-22-02, 08:48 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
All wood moves as the moisture level in your home changes through the seasons. The winter months are the dryest and thus the wood will shrink the most. A humidifier may help, but it is almost impossible to maintain constant humidity in the house. The cracks you see are normal and will close up in the summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: