Paneling Removal

Old 02-25-02, 01:13 PM
footballmom09
Visiting Guest
Question Paneling Removal

WANT TO REMOVE PANELING FROM KITCHEN ... IT HAS BEEN UP APPROX 15 YRS.... ANY EASY WAY TO DO THIS

Old 02-25-02, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If it's just thin paneling, pop it off with a thin pry bar and a hammer.
If it is boards, sink the finish nails, and then remove it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-26-02, 04:18 AM
footballmom09
Visiting Guest
what about the glue underneath is there an easy way to remove it, or should I just scrape and sand thanks

Old 02-26-02, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes.
Scraping and sanding should remove it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-02-02, 12:56 PM
MVKidPlay
Visiting Guest
Removing or Painting over paneling

I'm wondering how the popping off of the paneling went. We recently purchased a home with very dark wood paneling in the family room and would like to lighten it up. We've considered painting over it with a lighter color. We're wondering how this might turn out or if the popping off would be the way to go. I would like any suggestions and hear from those who have done either painting over or taking off of their old wood paneling. This paneling appears to be the thin wood veneer panels.

Also, when you say "sink" the nails, what does that term mean?

Thank you!

Old 03-04-02, 02:02 PM
tc1811
Visiting Guest
Punching the hails simply means that will

use a nail punch (from hardware store - tell them what you are doing - cost 2-4.00?) to push/punch the nail all the way through the paneling. Use a punch small enough to push it through ( match the tip of the punch to the nail head size, spend the extra few dollars for a quality punch if you don't already own one).

By punching all the nails through the paneling there will be nothing left to hold the paneling up (unless it is glued). Punching the nails is MUCH faster than trying to pull them out and will allow easier clean up since the panels will be intack. Pulling the nails will almost always end up in you ripping chunks of panelling off. Not fun unless your currently under some sort of anger management treatment.

If its glued normally you can just pry the panelling once nails are punched. If its extra strong glue and you dont want to rip it apart you may try a heat gun to soften it then pry off...? just a suggestion.

Be aware that once the panels are off you may not have paint ready walls ! So be prepared to have to possibly install sheetrock (most likely its there already) , definately be prepared to have the wall textured to a finish ( you can do this unless you will be matching the texture to existing walls or ceiling then hire someone ).

Hope this helps a little bit.

(try pulling a corner away of the paneling to see what exists behind it)

good luck.

Old 03-04-02, 02:04 PM
tc1811
Visiting Guest
Talking Oops sorry ...Punching means same as sinking for me....

I reaslized the terminology difference after posting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: