Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

1/4 inch luan - OK for bookcase backing?

Old 02-27-02, 08:45 AM
GHolmes
Visiting Guest

I am building in bookcases and thought of using some type of 1/4 inch plywood backing. What is luan and is this a suitable material? How is it on cost?

Thank you.

Greg.

(Note -- This was originally posted in another forum where luan board came up, but this seems to be the proper spot.)

Old 02-27-02, 09:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Greg,
1/2 inch birch plywood is a little stronger but Luan plywood is certainly acceptable for furniture backing. If I remember correctly it's only about 6 or 7 bucks for a 4 x 8 ft sheet.
fred

Old 02-27-02, 01:06 PM
GHolmes
Visiting Guest
Thank you Fewalt.

I put up sheetrock and the Luan backing will go up against the sheetrock. The bookcase will build out from the wall so the backing will not have to do much work.

How does Luan stain? Is it a light medium or dark substance/wood?

Thank you again in advance.

Greg.

Old 02-27-02, 02:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Greg,
Luan color can vary slightly between light and medium tans with some reddish hues. It will stain fairy evenly. If the rest of your bookcase is is going to be stained in lieu of painting, the best thing to do is go to your local lbr dealer ad pick out a nice sheet for testing. The price is right. If you've used a good birch plywood for the cases you may want to upgrade to a birch ply back.
fred

Old 02-28-02, 06:18 AM
GHolmes
Visiting Guest
Thank you again Fewalt.

I was going to go primarily with Birch, but had a hodgepodge of woods, birch planks for shelves, existing oak trim and some oak shelves, and was going to try and combine them all, but you may now have me rethinking all this.

Thanks and take care. Greg.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: