Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Band beam

Visiting Guest

02-27-02, 04:30 PM   #1  
Accurate Drywall
Band beam

I am in the process of building a porch with a gable roof onto the front of my home. It will extend out approx.8' from the house and be approx. 15' wide. My question is will a triple 2x6 beam on each side and front be enough to support the roof wether it be stick framed or trusses. The roof will be a 5/12 pitch to match existing. Also will I need 2 or 3 support poles on the front which my intentions are to use 6"x6" post. This is all being built above a concrete porch. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated in advance! Thanks

Sponsored Links

SD

02-28-02, 01:43 AM   #2  
You will need 3 2x8's sandwiched with osb board at a minimum.
You will also need 3 posts at a minimum providing one post is exactly in the middle. If you live in the northern part of the country, you will have to jump up to 2x10's.

Visiting Guest

02-28-02, 06:59 AM   #3  
Accurate Drywall
Thanks for the info. Do I need to put the osb in between the 2x8's or on the outsides of the 2x8's and what thickness of OSB? Also if I were to use a 2x10 or 2x 12 as the front band beam, is there anyway I can eliminate the center pole? This is being done in Kentucky.

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 09:58 PM   #4  
tedn332
Build a truss for your outside rafter. This will eliminate the need for a center support.

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 07:20 AM   #5  
Accurate Drywall
Thanks tedn332 for the advice. I have already ordered trusses and plan on going on with it in your direction. My next question is do you beleive the 3pcs. of 2x8 sandwiched with 1/2"OSB will be ample support for the sides which will be supported by a 6"x6" post on each outside corner. The inside ends of course will be tied into the existing home structure. And , do I need the same for the front band beam or can I cut back on that since the truss will be self supporting. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Visiting Guest

03-17-02, 08:51 AM   #6  
tedn332
The three 2x8's should be fine. If you are trying to make the front match the side beams, its for looks only, so dont put any more weight up there than you have to. If the beams will be below ceiling level, just build a box with 1x's for the front. If the ceiling will cover the bottom of the beams, a 2x for a nailer will be sufficient.

Search this Thread