fence wood recommendations?

Old 03-18-02, 10:57 AM
troyandmarsha
Visiting Guest
fence wood recommendations?

i just got priced out of the ballpark for oak fence slats, guy said mill wouldn't make poplar fence slats because of too many knots? any cons against buying 3" pine slats from lowes? what about using rough cut hemlock? my fence will be outside in exterior weather. i plan on painting with a primer and exterior paint.

Old 03-18-02, 11:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Use pressure-treated pine only.
It should cost maybe 30% more than untreated, but if it is made by a name-brand manufacturer (Weyerhaeuser, G-P, etc.), it should have a 50-year limited warranty.
Untreated pine, even primed and painted, if exposed on all sides as in a fence is going to be prone to deteriorate due to all of the moisture, freezing, etc.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-18-02, 07:46 PM
Jacksprat
Visiting Guest
Hemlock is an option, a lot of people use it, cedar as well. It does have to be sealed with something such as a good penetrating stain. PT is certainly an option, however, it has its drawbacks as well. Regardless of your choice of lumber, do not use iron nails, or galvanized, as rust stains look pretty tacky. I can show you about 5000 board feet of hemlock fence that looks great, after about 14 years.

Old 03-19-02, 06:17 AM
troyandmarsha
Visiting Guest
jacksprat

jacksprat,

by b-n-law is a big fan of rough cut hemlock, use a lot of it here in NW Pennsylvania. has to be painted, the posts are already painted. if not galvanized screws, then what do you use for fasteners? send me a picture of your 14 year old hemlock fence to

troyandmarsha@hotmail.com

thanks,
troy

Old 03-19-02, 06:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
troyandmarsha,
Once your hemlock fence is painted, it will require repainting.
If you positively dont wan't any nail/screw marks staining the wood stainless steel screw will work, especially on your pocket book.
The oak fence slats, which I hope you have ruled out, would have turned black in the weather.
PT lumber is still a good option.
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: