Panel repair

Old 04-06-02, 07:03 PM
juliejannise
Visiting Guest
Panel repair

My husband and I are needing to repair/replace some paneling in the entry to our home. We haven't lived in this house a full year yet, but we have noticed that the painted paneling is peeling and warping near a large window above the door. (It is a section about 2.5 feet by 4 feet.) I feel that the conditions in this part of the house contributed to this problem. It is pretty hot and dry in there in the summer months and cold and damp in the winter months due to large windows.
My questions are...What is the most efficient way to deal with the problem without tearing all of the paneling down? (If that is even possible.) We have never done this sort of work before and we wonder if we should hire someone more qualified to do this sort of thing (especially in the event that there is a more involved problem that is causing the peeling to occur in the first place.)
We appreciate any help you can give us!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-02, 01:07 AM
Cool

Warping and peeling paint are signs of moisture damage.
You may have a leak above it, or condensation running down onto it.
Take a water hose and shoot it on the outside of that window to see if you can cause it to leak and get the paneling damp or wet.
If so, caulk around the window where it is leaking.
The paneling area is not large, and you can pry it off and replace it if necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-08-02, 09:10 AM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
"We haven't lived in this house a full year yet, "

Is this a new house or just new to you? If new, Contact your builder. If new to you, follow Old Guys advice - sounds like moisture damage to me. May take some detective work.

Old 04-09-02, 09:11 AM
juliejannise
Visiting Guest
Thanks

That you for the information. It was helpful.