Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Removing mold and mildew from pressure-treated (read: arsenic-laden) wood playground

Removing mold and mildew from pressure-treated (read: arsenic-laden) wood playground


  #1  
Old 04-30-02, 03:26 PM
shoshannah
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Removing mold and mildew from pressure-treated (read: arsenic-laden) wood playground

We have an old wooden playground set that was left in our yard by the previous owners. Much of the wood is dotted with green mold/mildew. My husband wants to scrub it with a hard-bristled brush soaked in a bleach/water mixture. I say that because of the arsenic content of the pressure-treated wood, he should not use a hard-bristled brush. I think we should gently scrub with a soft cloth. What is the best way to remove this mold/mildew without letting loose the arsenic spores? Thank you.
 
  #2  
Old 04-30-02, 03:36 PM
willywhy's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: N. E. Illinois
Posts: 233
Received 1 Upvote on 2 Posts
Maybe try mopping on a 10% bleach with 90% water, let sit a few min. rinse with strong force from the garden hose.
 
  #3  
Old 04-30-02, 05:38 PM
shoshannah
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Point is, I'm afraid that any kind of pressure -- such as that from the hose or from scrubbing with a hard brush -- will breach the integrity of the wood, allowing arsenic to escape. I have two small children.
 
  #4  
Old 05-01-02, 01:41 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You can clean pressure-treated wood with a pressure washer OR brush and bleach or deck-cleaning liquids made for the purpose.
Some you just lightly brush or mop on, let them do their cleaning thing and then rinse with a hose. (Protect nearby plants and lawn. This stuff can damage or kill them. Cover with plastic.)
If this set is old enough to have mold and mildew build-up on it, the CCA will have long-since crystalized and "cured" and should not be a hazard to your children, and as long as they don't eat the wood, or dirt directly under the set, they should be perfectly safe.
Good Luck!
Mike
 
  #5  
Old 05-01-02, 03:47 AM
fewalt's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sw VA
Posts: 3,022
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shoshannah,
If you use an oxygenated bleach, which will kill the mildew, it will not harm your surrounding plants. In lieu of a buying something special just for the playground set you can try some oxi-clean and a little liquid soap. A scrub brush will be fine to remove the residue. The green you mentioned is most likely algae. I just removed about 100 sq ft of algae from a 200 sq ft deck with deck brightener and my pressure washer.
fred
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: