Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MDF material

NJ

04-30-02, 04:57 PM   #1  
MDF material

Went to a lumber yard to buy Wainscoating for a bathroom. The sales advised me to use MDF beadboard instead of wood since the bathroom which is located in the basement does not have a shower or tub and the beadboard is much cheeper. Since I have never used MDF material I do not know the pros and cons of the material. please help. Can MDF be cut with a wood saw blade, drilled with wood bits, mitered, sanded, holes filled with normal wood or wall filling materials etc? I assume it cannot be plained, correct? Since it appears to be non-porous how well does paint adhere to it? The face of the primed bead board was very smooth but the groves were rough. Do you think this could be due to the prime or the cutting of the material and do you think it can be sanded smooth?

Thanks for any help you might give me

Ron

[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 06:14 PM   #2  
J974
MDF is a great stuff, I love using it. Its easy to cut, sand, nail, and paint. Even Norm Abrams on the New Yankee Workshop loves using it.

CO

05-02-02, 09:10 PM   #3  
Does it work well in exterior applications? How does it handle the weather?

Visiting Guest

05-03-02, 02:48 PM   #4  
J974
I wouldn't reccomend it for outside. It would fall apart.

Search this Thread