1/2" white melamine

Old 06-11-02, 08:27 PM
1/2" white melamine

This may sound stupid, but where do you buy 1/2" white melamine?

I'm making some storage cabinets for a customer out of white melamine, and the doors are too big to be made out of 3/4". Way too heavy. I just can't seem to be able to find 1/2".

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-02, 03:43 AM
Hello Herm,

You may find 1/2 melamine shelves in the shelving section of Lowes. They won't hold alot of weight and may sag some if over-laden.
fred

Old 06-12-02, 10:29 AM
Hi Fred,

The shelves are OK for 3/4". It's the doors I'm concerned about putting too much of a weight burden on the hinges.

Old 06-12-02, 12:27 PM
Hi Herm,

Undersatnd now. You could use 1/2 ply and cover (contact cement) it with melamine sheet.

I have used 3/4 melamine and european hinges on doors 14 inches by 42 inches for a pantry - no problem with the weight.
fred

Old 06-12-02, 10:19 PM
I have had not much experience with melamine. A couple of these doors are 14 7/8" X 79 1/2", and seem way to heavy to me. I had planned on using 4 hinges per door (european style, no face frame mount), but it still seems like a lot of weight. I have 200 of these hinges in stock, and want to use them.

The application chart that Blum has indicates to me that this size and weight may be a problem, but the cabinet boxes are done and installed now (and looking great), so I kinda stuck with melamine for the doors. I could buy more heavy duty hinges (cost prohibitive), or I could paint some 1/2 MDF, or apply a melamine sheet to 1/2 ply, but what a pain in the.......

let's just say it's more work than I planned on. There are 14 doors similar in size.

Old 06-13-02, 04:03 AM
Herm,

Those are long doors, but I think you were on the right track. Four hinges should be okay. According to a Rockler/Blum chart, doors to 80 inches and up to 33 pounds will need four of the euro hinges. I don't think your doors are quite that heavy. And you could go with five hinges on weight up to 48 pounds.
Another option would be to create upper and lower doors.
fred

Old 06-13-02, 07:11 AM
Fred,

The heaviest doors weighs in at around 34 pounds. I think I'll give it a try with five hinges for the heavier ones to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all of your valued input. It will be a couple of days before they're mounted, but I will let you know how it turns out.

Herm

Old 07-05-02, 08:59 PM
Fred,

Thanks again for your input. The doors are installed and looking great. The customer is very happy with the cabinets, and the hinges seem to be handling the weight well.

I will try to post a picture of these (I haven't had too much luck posting pictures), as soon as the film is developed, so you can see them.