unsupported subfloor seam

Old 07-16-02, 02:53 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
unsupported subfloor seam

Hi there,

I'm converting a walk-in closet to a bathroom that will have a tile floor. The first thing I did was cut out the OSB subfloor so that I could replace it with exterior grade plywood, which I consider to be a better substrate for cement board and tile.

Unfortunately, one of the walls in the room (non-load bearing)falls between floor joists. So, I now have about 1" of subfloor extending past the sole plate of the wall. When I lay the plywood down, it's going to meet the OSB at a seam that is not supported by anything.

Is there a standard way to reinforce this seam to make it as stong as a single sheet of wood? I can't put anything thicker than an inch or two below it because this is where all the plumbing (not to mention an existing air duct) resides. An extra joist or a few cross beams wouldn't fit. Maybe there are metal brackets of some sort designed for this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Old 07-16-02, 10:04 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
How about a few 1x cleats attached to the underside of the existing subfloor every 12 - 16" to screw down the new edge?

Old 07-17-02, 05:57 AM
L
is a 1x cleat an actual device I could buy at a hardware store, or do you mean that I should attach pieces of wood to the existing floor in a way that they extend past the edge and provide a surface into which the new floor could be screwed?

If the latter, that's cool with me. I just wasn't sure if that would be sufficiently strong -- I want to minimize any flex in that part of the floor. If folks think this approach would be fine, then great...I'll try it.

If a 1x cleat is an device of some sort, what does it look like?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-02, 09:33 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I was thinking of wood scraps, or maybe even a conitinuous 1x8 board to get a regular screw pattern going. Is the seam near a wall that will actually get foot traffic along it? If not, then the overhang sag will not be noticable.

Old 07-17-02, 10:51 AM
L
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Fortunately, there is no drywall on most of that wall, so I can reach through and drill into the "cleat" on both sides of the sole plate. That would give me more attaching ability than if I only had that 1" lip of OSB to screw into.

The seam runs under the vanity, under the toilet, and right in front of the shower head. There will not be much traffic, per se, but there will always be weight on it...especially when someone's using the toilet (then again, the toilet spans a joist, so it's probably ok).

So that's one vote for strips of wood. I have a concealment inspection this week, so we'll see if the inspector has anything to say. I'm hesitant to ask because it might be a code violation, and there's a slight chance he wouldn't notice if I don't point it out.

We'll see...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: