offensive t shirt

Old 09-25-07, 08:19 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
offensive t shirt

My 16 yo daughter was sent to the HS office because her T shirt had the letters WTF? on it. she is on her first day of her monthly cycle. So she was not in a good mood. The asst. principale was in humor about it but they lost the $$'s because she was upset instead of just bringing another shirt she said I dont feel well and want to go home. The teacher that brought her to the office has had a trend of bringing students to the office . I say read the letters as Where's the food or wen. thurs. fri. She likes T shirts that say something. My fav. is "You Are So Off My Buddy list" any way whats your thoughts? I think some of the girls should be sent home for perocitive clothing If her shirt was so offensive.

Old 09-25-07, 09:12 PM
D
I agree that girls should be sent home for wearing provocative clothing. Definitely. It's inappropriate and a disturbance. Especially at that age.

As far as the "WT.."you know what , I take it that if you let her buy that or if you bought that for her and let her wear it, then you think it's ok for her to say the word as well? If so, then I understand why you don't think it's a big deal. As far as reading it as "Where's The Food or Wen. Thurs. Fri", that's just a joke. No offense. Everyone knows well what those letters stand for, right?

A lot of teens (and even adults) do things based on moods and that's why bad things happen in this world.

It's not about what could be worse, it's about what IS. I wouldn't encourage her or side with her. She'll start thinking it is ok and not disrespectful and/or inappropriate.

Just like what we hear and see on TV or on the radio nowadays. Those words aren't even bleeped out anymore and IMO...they should be.

Old 09-25-07, 09:29 PM
GOOD for the school

Old 09-25-07, 09:36 PM
S
I most whole heartedly agree. She shouldn't have been allowed out of the house wearing something like that, especially on the way to school. What on earth happened to parenting in today's world? Our countries founding fathers stated our constitution was designed to govern a moral society and was wholly inadequate to govern an immoral society. The breakdown of the moral fabric of our nation has become epidemic and this sort of thing is just one small example. Had something like this occurred in the school I was raised in, it would have been a major deal and an expulsion would have happened. I'm actually surprised the school had the sand to take a stand like that. It gives me a bit of hope.

Old 09-27-07, 06:20 PM
In my opinion, wearing a shirt that has WTF on it, is going to draw attention. And you can bet it's going to be the wrong kind of attention.
Just make sure she is aware of this before she walks out of the house wearing it.

Other than that I like the idea of teens having some flexibility from the parents and making their own decisions
SOMETIMES.

Just my $.02

Jim

Old 09-27-07, 06:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
You can make up your own meanings for the letters, but we all know what it's meant to mean. And yes, I agree that it would be inappropriate for that to be worn in a high school.

Old 09-28-07, 04:37 PM
Sorry, I agree with everyone else. I used to be a sailor, and still know how to cuss like one. But I watch when and where I do it. I watch most movies that come out, and believe once you've seen one member of the opposite sex naked, you want to see them all.

That being said, I think we have taken freedom of speech to literally, to the point that most people have very poor taste and standards. I don't think you should cuss in public, and it shouldn't be done before 9pm on network tv. You should where shoes and a shirt (and pants) when you go to most any store.

So, good for the school.

Old 10-04-07, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think everyone knows what the true meaning of WTF is. If it is in the policy, then they have a right to ask her to change. I think they should have back up uniform shirts for students to wear when they violate school policy. If students want to violate that, then they should be willing to face those consequences. What do you think?

Old 10-04-07, 10:25 AM
T
It is evident that the parent has no respect for school policy and that this lack of respect is passed on to the child. The greater responsibility falls upon the parent, who has listed her excuses for the child:

"She is on her first day of her monthly cycle. So she was not in a good mood."

"The teacher that brought her to the office has had a trend of bringing students to the office."

"She likes T shirts that say something."

Both the parent and child knew what WTF stands for. The parent said that the child should have lied and said it stood for 'Where's the Food' or 'wen. thurs. fri.'

The parent exhibited further disrepect for the policy and denial of the significance of the inappropriate shirt by making the situation out to be humorous. ""You Are So Off My Buddy list" is not the same as WTF. Both statements indicate what is considered to be an attitude.

Based on the parent's attitude, obvious lack of respect for policy and authority, inability to accept responsibility, and excuses for the child, it's no wonder that the child exhibits the same behaviors. Given the opportunity to change the shirt, the child cops an 'attitude' and makes an excuse "I dont feel well and want to go home." The child returns home to where she knew from past experiences that the parent would take her side.

It is unfortunate that the school let the child go home and not made the parent bring an appropriate shirt. By doing so both the child and parent may have learned something at school that day. It is also unfortunate that the parent failed to return the child to school with an appropriate shirt, further devaluing the importance of school dress codes and policies and the importance of being in school.

It would be no surprise to learn that there will be future discipline and parenting problems at school and home. Parents have a responsibility to be good role models and to teach children that there are natural consequences for behaviors. When parents reinforce negative behaviors, children learn that these are acceptable.

Old 10-05-07, 09:49 AM
Very true! The kids will reflect upon how the parent reacts...so if the parent is showing little respect, then most likely that is how the kid is going to portray their attitude. I think the schools deserve more respect than that.

Old 10-06-07, 09:56 AM
"She likes T shirts that say something."

So do I! Mostly my tee shirts say the name of a band I really like. Or a product I endorse (usually craft beers or guitar amps). I have not one but TWO tee shirts with the F-word, only one of which is not so cleverly bleeped. Though I like both shirts (they were given to me) and they are advertisements for companies or groups I endorse, I wear neither in public. My husband has the same one that is not so cleverly bleeped - he wears it to select music-oriented events and shows because it advertises an audio engineering conference, and he is an audio engineer. In those surroundings it definitely catches peoples attention, but no one would find offense at it (especially when the band is screaming Shut the F up!! over and over again. hehehe) Neither of us would consider wearing our tee shirts to school, church, etc. Punk show? Absolutely!

I find no problem with free speech. But choose your audience wisely - if you say the wrong thing in the wrong venue, at the very least people will lose respect for you.

Old 10-06-07, 01:20 PM
You said it right. I have no problem with free speech, but choose your forum wisely. I don't agree with foul language in front of children, or people your not sure would approve, out of respect. A punk or rock concert. go for it. Canoeing on the river or at the store... no. Same goes for clothing.

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-06-07 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Quote deleted. No need to quote an entire in order to respond.
Old 10-06-07, 06:57 PM
Very well said, everybody!!

If you want to draw attention to yourself do or say or act something positive.

The souls and minds of our youths, come so cheap these days. Don't ask for it!!!

Jim

Old 10-06-07, 10:50 PM
Well, I jsut read where Southwest airlines is apologizing for making a passenger change his shirt. It said "master baiter". He said it violated his free speech rights.

I say thumbs up for making him change, and thumbs down for apologizing.

Southwest is a family airline. I don't mean family owned, I mean families fly. I applaud them for making him change in the 1st place.

You know, you didn't do that when I was growing up. There was decency reserved for a lot of places. As I said earlier, I can cuss, I can enjoy off color jokes, I like sex and naked women, and can be non-pc. But there's a right and a wrong time or place.

Old 10-07-07, 03:56 AM
H
Wink WTF is wrong with this country?

I agree we need moderation in schools, however, no matter what the age, we do have freedom of speech. I am not going to make this a huge argument. I just feel things are going on that should not go on in America. Along the same lines, the second grader who kissed another second grader getting expelled? Wow, what a great way to keep attendence rates up from kids who already hate (now a days) going to school.

Have the girl explain her effort and reasoning for wearing the shirt. Kids wear pants to theighs, pants to tight, and shirts too short.

Parenting is the FIRST 50% of kids mentality, 30% environment, and 20% themselves in normal people. Perhaps mine was 95% myself, 1% environment, and 4% parents.

Old 10-08-07, 08:05 PM
That is not the intention of freedom of speech. People take it out of context and try to stretch it to suit there (your?) own desires.

The founding fathers intended it to mean that we would have the right to speak out against the government, give our opinions. It's not meant that you can say anything you want, or wear anything you want. You shouldn't be able to walk around in a supermarket or the mall or a church or school and say f*** you, or S*** or S*** my ****.

On top of that, it's common decency, something we have lost a lot of in the past 20 years or so. Maybe we need some PUBLIC decency laws. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

BTW, if you want to push the limits of freedom of speech, then the shirt doesn't count. That would be expression, and I don't think that's in the bill of rights.

Old 10-08-07, 08:36 PM
T
SW Airlines apologized for their two recent attacks upon fliers. They have no dress code. A dear friend of mine used to fly SW in the old days when the stewardesses (now hostesses) were provocatively dressed and they were the party airline of the skies. No holes barred!

As indicated, we must pick and choose our audience if being provocative. We simply do not violate school dress codes or other published dress codes.

The point that should be emphasized in this thread is the attitude of the parent and the negative reinforcement of the child and the support for school absence on part of the school and parents.

Not to be argumentative, I, as an old bra burner (don't own one), femi-****, and liberated mountain woman, I would most definitely recommend a WTF shirt. But, I would only do so in the proper venue. As a small business owner, I am always clean and neat and well groomed. I reserve my camou for the mountains and hunting and fishing expeditions. I do not own a WTF shirt or other such as a Johnson shirt. I love reading them in the proper venue, but I do no wear them. I always get a chudkle, but my brain is soaked in classicism and propriety. As rotten as I am, I am a lady at heart and believe in proper parenting in order to prepare our children to be socially functional and responsible for today's society.

Old 11-16-07, 05:49 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Late coming to the topic, but enjoyed the comments, and had to add mine. With all "freedoms" come equal "responsibilities", and they can't be separated. If you choose to use a freedom, what is your responsibility to the public? Yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater is a freedom of speech, but what a responsibility!! Not to get political, but you are responsible for your own actions, and control your own destiny. Do it wisely. It will catch up to you eventually.

Old 11-16-07, 06:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
No one is implying freedom of speech should be limited. Look at the case against Larry Flynt, publisher of Hustler magazine - he won his case and was allowed to keep printing what he wanted, but we as a society have decided that no one under 18 is allowed to possess or appear in the magazine. Would you let her wear this shirt to a job interview? Church? Your mother's house?

Old 11-16-07, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Would you let her wear this shirt to a job interview? Church? Your mother's house?

Think you hit the nail on the head, mitch.

Search this Thread