Any experience with using a Live in Nanny?

Old 06-11-12, 05:17 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Any experience with using a Live in Nanny?

With the wife going back to work, our two boys will be going into daycare. We lucked out for the next 6 months or so as a good friend of ours will be watching them for an amazing price (and lives down the street).

I jokenly mentioned we should get a nanny as with us living 50 miles outside the city (live in a small town), we could have someone at the house so we wouldn't have to wake up the boys at 5AM or pay all the fees for late pick up.
Looking into it, it might actually be the same cost for a live in nanny (or cheaper after late pick up fees).

So now the question, has anyone ever had a live in nanny?
Any good/bad about them?
Things to watch out for?

Would bringing someone in from out of country be worth the troubles?

Old 06-11-12, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I don't know anything about having a nanny, but if you go that route, think about putting some hidden cameras around so you can check her out and what she's like with the kids. Piece of mind. Even if you get her thru an agency, you can't automatically trust them.
Personally, I think I'd do this with a friend, too. You never really know someone, even if you think you do.

Old 06-11-12, 11:39 AM
N
We're going to stick with the friend for now as it's a fair bit cheaper then any other option. The only down side is we have to wake the boys up at 5AM to go down the road.

As for the cameras.... I'm a (was) a big techy person, so it wouldn't be much to do the camera thing.
We're still not 100% sure about the idea. Just looking for info and hear about experiences.

Old 06-11-12, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Honestly Mike, I don't think you'll get many answers as I don't think most DIYer's have live-in Nanny's.

Old 06-11-12, 12:19 PM
N
Thought I would try.
There was an appropriate category and the forum having a larger audience then the car forums I am on, I thought I might find someone.
Was a long shot.

Old 06-11-12, 03:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Back in the early 80's when I got divorced and custody of my 2 boys [youngest only 3 months old] I had to hire a nanny. I had to work a lot of hours to pay her and my bills too. She basically worked around the clock 6 days a week as the kids were often in bed when I got home from work. Sunday nights were always stressful because I never new 100% for sure if she'd show up by 5AM monday morning so I could go to work. She usually showed up but every now and again she didn't. I couldn't blame her too much, she worked hard long hours for little pay.... but I had to work! At that time, day care centers wouldn't take kids under 1 yr old. Shortly after the youngest turned 1 yr old I let her go and started using a daycare. The only issue I had with the daycare was they didn't open until 6AM and closed at 6PM - but working shorter hours was a relief

I agree with Shady - you might not find many here with nanny experience. You can't be too careful with who you let in your house! Background checks and monitoring would be a good idea - I didn't do much checking although I was fairly lucky.... but you never know.

Search this Thread