gear oil in manual ttransmission

Old 07-25-02, 12:24 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gear oil in manual ttransmission

i have a 1996 2.2 liter isuzu hombre truck. i just dropped in a new long block motor.when i was taking out the old one i had the truck on jack stands.while doing so some gear oil leaked out the shaft of the transmission.when i installed the new motor i opened the upper plug on the side of the transmission and filled it up till it drained out and then stopped thinking it was full. well when you travel oil goes all over the exhaust and transmission now.i left the truck level and opened up the side plug and nothing came out.question is? if i drain out all the gear oil from the bottom and start off with fresh gear oil how much does it take to fill it up? and it never leaked before till now.i put it synthetic gear oil. i know it;s not motor oil cause i;m now showing losing none on my dip stick.what could this be and why? i have a new motor and clutch and don't won't to damage neither one or the transmission. my chilton book doesn't give me any answers or tell how much gear oil or what what weight to use. thanks.

Old 07-25-02, 12:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fill up the unit until it's at the base of the hole. Should be good to go.

Check all the seals carefully. One might have been nicked upon the tranny installation.

Old 07-25-02, 01:15 PM
O
any recommendations?

any recommendations on the weight gear oil and how much it would take to fill it up after i drain it? thanks

Old 07-25-02, 01:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary.org below.

The weight of the oil required should be specified there or in the owner's manual.

Old 07-26-02, 04:31 PM
O
oil seal

could it be possible that if i overfilled the transmission with gear oil it blew out the seal? i'm gonna jack up the truck tomorrow and put it in gear,if oil comes out the front of the trans then odds are it;s the seal?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: