replacing wheel cylinder on '95 cherokee

Old 07-25-02, 12:55 PM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
replacing wheel cylinder on '95 cherokee

'95 cherokee 4.0, 115K miles, 4WD

Anything I should know about replacing drum brakes? I've never done it before, but I do have the Haynes manual. Aside from getting the drum off(i do know how to do that), do I need any special tools for this job? I'm planning on replacing one wheel cylinder and then all 4 brake shoes and that's it(just the rear wheels. Any other advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-02, 01:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace both wheel cylinders and also put in new hardware in the rear at the same time you change the shoes. Do a complete job or you'll do it twice.

There are special brake spring tools that most parts stores sell for a couple of bucks that will make the job easier. Sears sells a brake spring pliers/combination tool as well. I have one I got at a garage sale for a buck.

Old 07-25-02, 01:49 PM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
OK, could you just list the "hardware" that you're speaking of? shoes, cylinders, springs...what else?

Thanks Joe.

Old 07-25-02, 10:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Shoes, new wheel cylinders for both sides, and complete hardware kit for the drum brakes.

Usually a hold down kit, self adjusters and adjusting kit. Just ask for everything inside the drum for both sides. A better parts guy will pick out the right kits you need.