95 mustang idles between 800-2500rpm

Old 07-25-02, 06:47 PM
PPakrs1
Visiting Guest
95 mustang idles between 800-2500rpm

1995 mustang; 3.8L coupe: I just finished changing the oil and did my routine rinsing under the hood with a garden hose. Now the engine idles way too high, varying from 800 to 2500. Sometimes going down the road in 3rd gear, the engine stays at 2800 rpms without my foot on the gas. The engine is running smoothly and not missing at all, if I disconnect the intake hose (from the mass air flow sensor) at the intake, the idle comes down to about normal. I tried a new MAF sensor, no help) I disconected all electrical connections and found no wetness. When I shut the engine off and tried to restart it, it will only start if I press on the accelerater and the "check engine" light comes on.
Thanks for any advice. Dean

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-02, 09:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go to any Autozone and find the cause of the check engine light.

I personally don't clean any of my engines except the Pontiacs. Water and electronics do not mix, especially when things get old.

If you must clean, use Simple Green and CAREFULLY use a brush around the areas you want clean. Flooding the engine with water was probably the cause of the issue. Something's wet or loosing connections.