Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 Sebring won't crank

07-26-02, 05:08 AM   #1  
1997 Sebring won't crank

Lol, one of the girls at work had her car stall out on her just as she pulled into the parking lot. Me and three other people had to push it up the hill onto our parking lot. I put a bad crack in her tailight, but you really can't see it.

Anyhow, its a 1997 Sebring, 4cyl, 70K miles, manual trans.

The engine won't crank now. The starter turns over just fine and twirls the engine just fine, but it's like the pistons aren't getting any fuel or spark.

I told her it may be a fuel system issue, like the fuel pump, or it could be her ignition coil going out.

Is there anything I can do to check either of these ideas? Lol, it's such a pretty car to be sitting there all dead.

Thanks!!
Mako

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-26-02, 05:22 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Pull a wire off at the spark plug. Stick a screwdriver in there and put it near a metal ground.

Crank the car over. Do you have fat, blue consistent spark? If not, you have an ignition problem.

Proper fuel system diagnosis requires a pressure gauge, so check the spark side first and let us know what you find.

If you take the distributor cap off (if so equipped) and the ignition rotor doesn't turn, the timing belt has snapped or jumped time.

07-26-02, 05:25 AM   #3  
Um, won't that screwdriver thing shock the piss out of me?

Visiting Guest

07-26-02, 05:28 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Nope, because you're going to stick it into the wire and LAY it on a metal ground.

Then you're going to crank the engine and watch/listen for a fat blue consistent spark (or lack thereof).

07-26-02, 05:32 AM   #5  
Oh- lay it on something. Like the engine block, right? Will do that soon!

Mako

Visiting Guest

07-26-02, 05:46 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Ya.

Even if you just lay the wire near something metal, you can listen for the clicking/snapping of the spark.

07-26-02, 09:18 AM   #7  
Sadly I'm not gonna get a chance to go tinker w/ the car- way to busy at work.

She did say that she'd been having trouble with the car previously, kinda sloughing off when she gassed it. I'm guessing a fuel system problem, maybe the pump. She's gonna have her buddy, a mech, take a looksy at it.

Search this Thread