thermostat or water pump

Old 07-24-02, 05:11 AM
mswift
Visiting Guest
Question thermostat or water pump

89 Honda Prelude, 4 cyl, auto.

My son said that the temp gauge was pegged. I told him to put some water in it to get it home. He said he was only able to put about 4 cups in the overflow tank (which you can't see, just a tube sticking up beside the radiator) and it was overflowing. He got it home (only a couple of miles). I don't see any leaks. How do I know if the thermostat is stuck closed or if the water pump is not working correctly?

Thanks, Mike

Old 07-24-02, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You seem to not know when the stat was changed last. Time to pitch it for a new one and flush the cooling system.

Start there and tell us what it nets you.

Old 07-27-02, 10:58 AM
mswift
Visiting Guest
I changed the thermostat and it seems to be fine now. However, I noticed that there is some antifreeze leaking from the back of the engine. At first, it looked like it was coming from the oil pan, but upon further review it seems to be running down to there and just falling from the edge of the pan. I can't see up in there to see where it could be leaking from. Any ideas where it may be from? When I drained the antifreeze before changing the stat, I only drained it from the radiator, since I couldn't find the block drain bolts, so I don't think it could be them. Plus, the manual says that the bolts are in the front of the engine. This seems to be coming from the back.

Thanks, Mike

Old 07-27-02, 01:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On some Hondas there are cooling pipes that run along the back of the engine. They rot out and that could be where it's coming from.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: