Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

low power on hills

Visiting Guest

07-27-02, 03:36 PM   #1  
rljsmith2001
low power on hills

I recently changed the engine in a 1991 Toyota Corolla with a 1.6 4A-FE engine for a fellow who had run it without oil. The car was lacking power then. After replacing the engine I noticed it had sufficient power on flat roads but very little when going up hills. The fellow told me then that it had been a little low on power before I changed it. I don't have access to a scan tool to see what the sensors are doing. I wondered if maybe it was a map sensor but they run about $500.00 so its not something I could just try. I have a few other ideas but I'm unsure. I thought maybe someone else might have had this problem and could help me. I also considered a weak fuel pump

Sponsored Links

07-27-02, 05:20 PM   #2  
you should have the exhaust checked for a restriction at an exhaust shop for starters, also make sure the ignition timing is set to manufactures spec's , if the above doesnt find the problem you may have to rent a fuel pressure guage install it and drive the car and see if it is within spec and not losing pressure when going up hills.

Search this Thread