Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

burnt valves?

07-27-02, 08:21 PM   #1  
burnt valves?

If the exhaust tends to every now and then suck a dollar bill towrd the pipe instead of continously blowing it away from the pipe, does it indicate a burnt valve?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-27-02, 08:23 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The way to check for burned valves is to use a compression tester. The instructions will tell you what readings indicate what trouble.

Visiting Guest

07-27-02, 08:25 PM   #3  
TECHMAN
Save all the guess work and run a cyl. leak test or a comp. test to get quick more acc. tests. good luck--dave---

07-27-02, 08:26 PM   #4  
Tx for the response JOe. I tried this old shade tree trick while tinkering with this thing today. Lot quicker than having to look in book to see what the different readings indicated .

07-27-02, 08:33 PM   #5  
I think you guys are right. Guess I need to round up a gauge. I could never get mine ( old type ) in place to check this engine. Doggone headers! Makes it tricky just replacing plugs.

As far as changing the ignition system, I was just trying to see what kind of shape the engine is in. Probably will change it when I find out what shape the engine is in. This car has been parked for 2 years. I can't seem to get all the plugs to fire right.

Visiting Guest

07-27-02, 08:47 PM   #6  
TECHMAN
Bowman try and squirt bottle on the headers. BY wetting the headers one at a time with eng. warmed up you can give it a quick test. If you have a cyl. not hitting good the header pipe will not be as hot as the other and will stay wet longer.--Good old test i learned from my buddy Jodie Jackson. but nothing is as good as the old comp. gauge. and you still dont know if it is not hitting because of Fuel, Fire , are Comp.------------P.S. water bottle good from finding bad plug wires to.-Have fun---Dave--

07-27-02, 09:03 PM   #7  
If you have a cyl. not hitting good

Heheh, pretty sure I have some weak ones. I pulled the wires while it was running and several made little, if any difference, in th engine sound/speed. When I took them out, some were sooty looking. Kinda scared I am going to gas foul them and have to buy more. I mentioned the plugs being hard to replace. I am wondering if someone somewhere damaged some threads in the heads changing plugs and maybe it is losing compression there.
The dollar bill thing was told to me a long time ago. This car has dual exhaust and one side does not keep the dollar fluttering away from the pipe. It is kinda back and forth.

Oh well, its something to tinker with. Another $3,000, and I think she will have a nice old car.

Search this Thread